Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:14:37 PM EDT
The Army has two new colors called Foliage Green and Ranger Green, developed for use with the new ACUPAT. Besides the webbing fabric, it is also used in plastic fastex buckles on the web gear. Good pics are hard to come by, but Foliage is a Grey Green very similar to the WW2 GermanFeldgrau (see pic below)

As of now the color OD Green used by AR stock manufacturers is not standardized. In addition to the new Flat Dark Earth, would anybody else like to see AR furniture also made in Ranger Green?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a must have for couch commando gear whores.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I, for one, will be first in line for a tactical garbage can.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Second, of course, only to Oscar the Grouch...  The original "tactical" muppet!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Can it guys! You're just green with envy!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#6]
AyeGuy:
I like the look of this color, thought about trying O.D. green but it tends to stand out to much. The Ranger Green with its color leaning more to gray side would blend in better with the surroundings during all the seasons. What AR furniture are you looking at having done in this color.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys, that is a WWII German issue gas mask canister, not a tactical garbage can. I think he's trying to make the point of a color sample and the WWII Wehrmacht example. Then again it's kind of late in Baghdad and my sense of humor switch might be malfunctioning.

Wearing a set of ACU's right now, I was told that shade is "Foliage Green", and that's what the new documentation we get calls it.

I wouldn't go with a Magpul type stock, but for those of us who wouldn't want to paint a rifle because we don't stay one place long, rail panels and stocks in green/dark earth we could change out would be a pretty good solution to the issue. I'd probably jump on one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Foliage Green is the new Army green.  Ranger Green is the green Blackwater uses for Blackwater tactical gear...

TS
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I think a can of paint is the most adaptable system- if you change evironments you just hit the part with a different paint color.  

I cant tell the difference between the webgear ranger green and the green in ACU's.  That said I don't think ACUs blend with anything.  

If we were involved in a war where hiding meant anything (like any jungle or woodland environment) guys would probably be painting their uniforms before leaving on patrols.  The uniform looks cool but in a woodland or jungle setting is pretty rediculous.   It's like the goal was to create a uniform that couldn't blend with anything.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
There are two colors of Green in the ACU: Ranger green and Foliage green. Here is quote from an ARFCOM gear guru:

The webbing on the ACU gear I have is a distinct gray green that in most light appears to be gray to the casual observer.

The ranger green I have seen is more like the AF Sage color and at first glance appears green.

Foliage= Gray but on closer examination has a green to it

Ranger= Green but on closer examination has a gray to it.

That's my opinion anyway.

I was just sounding you guys out to see if there was a way you knew that we could bring this issue to the attention of industry.

Call me a "couch commando gear whore" all you want; my goal is to have the best gear I can. If you want to be a conservative and have a black rifle because that's the way its always been, fine. But look at all the mods available to the AR series...it's all about innovation.

And yes that's a pic of a WW2 German gas mask cannister in feldgrau. I was told that's a close match to Ranger Green.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wouldn't go with a Magpul type stock, but for those of us who wouldn't want to paint a rifle because we don't stay one place long, rail panels and stocks in green/dark earth we could change out would be a pretty good solution to the issue. I'd probably jump on one.

Yes, that was exactly my point. Glad to see someone gets it. Interchangable plastic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
After great effort and expense I found an auction on Ebay which shows the new Army general-purpose color. Not a garbage can or piece of obscure foreign equipment but current US issue: combat kneepads in ACUPAT with Foliage Green hard shell kneecaps.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah but you are missing the point.  Rather than buy three or four stocks, grips, and sets of pannel covers, why not just buy five or six different colors of Krylon camo paint.  

For the price of one stock you have a complete camo system.  

The color molded parts are a high cost alternative.  If you have a rifle that you want to be a working gun go ahead and paint it.  Once the first coat is on it's a lot easier to change the color when you need to.

It's not about people who want black rifles, it's about people who don't see the point in getting hosed for three to five sets of furniture when they only color part of the weapon.

Don't worry though soon enough the new ACU colored parts will be availible.  There's an ass for that seat as a car dealer would say.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yeah but you are missing the point.  Rather than buy three or four stocks, grips, and sets of pannel covers, why not just buy five or six different colors of Krylon camo paint.

I get your point. Its valid. So's mine. We're both right.  

For the price of one stock you have a complete camo system.

True, but the color is molded into the stock and can't be worn off

The color molded parts are a high cost alternative.  If you have a rifle that you want to be a working gun go ahead and paint it.  Once the first coat is on it's a lot easier to change the color when you need to.

Right. And do a disruptive cammo job with other colors of paint.

It's not about people who want black rifles, it's about people who don't see the point in getting hosed for three to five sets of furniture when they only color part of the weapon.

But I have five ARs. Diversity and all that you know

Don't worry though soon enough the new ACU colored parts will be availible.  There's an ass for that seat as a car dealer would say.

I can see it now; another argument: Ranger Green vs. Flat Dark Earth, Which is better?

Ex-Army types will go for RG while former Marines say FDE is best...

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually I reckon a mix of both would do very nicely. Coyote Brown, Flat Dark Earth and Foliage Green looks rather like WWII mid-late German vehicle camo, Dunkelgelb, RotBraun and OlivGrun.
Obviously natural colours for the Stosstruppen of Freedom.

Avanti!!!

Simon
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
[kermit]Its not easy being green. [/kermit]

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]
J-A-R wrote: "The Ranger Green with its color leaning more to gray side would blend in better with the surroundings during all the seasons."

I really like gray as a base for a universal camouflage color. I'd like to see tests done with something like a medium gray to see if that color alone doesn't get you 80% of the way there.

John
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#18]
The official Army name for this green is "Foliage" as stated by other service members in this thread. If you have actually been issued a set of ACUs, as opposed to purchasing knock offs, you would know. There is also the fact that every piece of insignia in the military clothing sales store on Ft. Hood Texas is named "Foliage" or "FOLG".
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Id buy it, or at least spray cans of it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The official Army name for this green is "Foliage" as stated by other service members in this thread. If you have actually been issued a set of ACUs, as opposed to purchasing knock offs, you would know. There is also the fact that every piece of insignia in the military clothing sales store on Ft. Hood Texas is named "Foliage" or "FOLG".

No need to get snitty, Skyssx

I was in the Marines during the transition from ERDL to BDU, so, no, I haven't got an issue set of ACUs. Here is where I got my info.

green color thread

Thank you for the correction though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, I have two sets of ERDL's. I wasn't ISSUED them, but I have them, found 'em in '92. Straight pocket, not slant pocket type. Wish I had a set of those. Had one properly sewn up, used to wear it for CQ duty on weekends. No one ever noticed the difference as all of our summerweight sets were all so faded out anyway. Now I have 12 sets of BDU's that are pretty much obsolete. Looks like it's time to make a ghillie suit again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Actually I reckon a mix of both would do very nicely. Coyote Brown, Flat Dark Earth and Foliage Green looks rather like WWII mid-late German vehicle camo, Dunkelgelb, RotBraun and OlivGrun.
Obviously natural colours for the Stosstruppen of Freedom.

Avanti!!!

Simon

You notice what the PASGT and MICH helmets look like with Multicam covers?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Marpat is far superior.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Marpat is far superior.

Not for all areas. Here in Northern California the Woodland MARPAT is far too dark, and the Deserts are too light. I've been looking for something inbetween and the newer (darker) ACU looks like it might be a good compromise.

But back to the rifles. Like SimonTan says, grey is a good neutral color; and the German WW2 feldgrau was very effective, at least in Northern and Central Europe. Neutral colors tend to fade into the background, while patterns like Woodland tend to turn into dark blobs at a distance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember also in  the early part of the war the Germans vehicles where painted a dark grey color, so they would blend into the background shadows from a distance. It worked very well in forested western europe but on the Russian plains it didn't work to well. Also German uniforms where different shade of grey depending on the wool blend, some where slate grey, some a green-grey and others brownish. I think the new army  green is a good nuetral color that will blend well into the background with other colors.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Marpat is far superior.

Marpat is a older coor scheme, and its for marines.  Nuff said on that one, theres a reason Army gets the best gear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, the pixel-typel camo schemes started with the Russians in WWII. We have examples of such in the Fort Campbell Museum. The Marines are simply clever enough not to think one camouflage pattern will do everything. While it's a nice uniform with all the new pockets, I still am a bit iffy on the pattern.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#28]
It seems to work OK in several environments - desert, urban, green vegetation, but I'm not sold on it's use in fall and winter temperate forests in this part of the US, at least during the day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#29]
All the Ranger Green I have seen is closer to good ol' OD than anything else.  Perhaps a bit darker.

I still want to know why Crye MULTICAM was not the winner instead of this ACU pattern.  It is by far the best single pattern for all environs I have seen.

Oh well, thats beauracracy for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#30]
ranger green is the new black.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
All the Ranger Green I have seen is closer to good ol' OD than anything else.  Perhaps a bit darker.

I still want to know why Crye MULTICAM was not the winner instead of this ACU pattern.  It is by far the best single pattern for all environs I have seen.

Oh well, thats beauracracy for you.

The reason I have read on other sites, is because all of the colors it was too expensive to manufacture. Also it has a poor ablity to disfuse the human shape when viewed with night vision. Another problems was when the uniform became  wet the all the colors blend together making it stand out. This was a similar problem with the woodlands camo.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#33]
You see...even the Brits like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Marpat is a older coor scheme, and its for marines. Nuff said on that one, theres a reason Army gets the best gear.

Yes it's older but it's the best. The Marines know what works.  That's why they're better shots and always take the toughest jobs.  There's a reason they get the most done with a smaller budget too.

ACU is way too light for the desert environment, and the only color that stands out better in a woodland environment than ACU is blaze orange.  

By the way the "L" in cool is one row down and five letters to the right.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Foliage green and Ranger green are two different things. Ranger green is not a part of ACU. I have both in my posession right now along with ACU 1000D.

The 75th Ranger Regiment adopted a version of Eagle Industries MLCS and called it RLCS or "Ranger Load Carry System." This was purchased in Ranger Green which, as stated, is different than any component of ACU.

Ranger green is good stuff IMO.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I would be interested!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Foliage green and Ranger green are two different things. Ranger green is not a part of ACU. I have both in my posession right now along with ACU 1000D.

The 75th Ranger Regiment adopted a version of Eagle Industries MLCS and called it RLCS or "Ranger Load Carry System." This was purchased in Ranger Green which, as stated, is different than any component of ACU.

Ranger green is good stuff IMO.

Could you please post pics of your examples side-by-side?

The above pics of the rifle stocks show a dark green which must be Ranger Green. The color I was interested in is Foliage Green. I have gone back and edited the title in the original post to reflect this. Here again is Foliage:

This is the color seen on ACU companion gear like fastex buckles and the kneeecaps in the above pic. This would be a good general purpose color IMHO, as it is greyish and neutral instead of dark like Ranger Green
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Marpat is a older coor scheme, and its for marines. Nuff said on that one, theres a reason Army gets the best gear.

Yes it's older but it's the best. The Marines know what works.  That's why they're better shots and always take the toughest jobs.  There's a reason they get the most done with a smaller budget too.

ACU is way too light for the desert environment, and the only color that stands out better in a woodland environment than ACU is blaze orange.  

By the way the "L" in cool is one row down and five letters to the right.

I love the blind idiocy indoctrination of some Marines.  Cracks me up!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Easy now, Horik. some of us are former Marines here.

I for one am not so "indoctrinated" that I will not consider a piece of Army gear just because of its lowly origins.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Know what holds up a chicken's ass? Two JARHEAD LEGS!!!!

Jarhead schmarhead. Marines are gonna save the world. Yada yada yada.

Sorry for the hijack. Couldn't resist! I like the color myself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#42]
This started as a topic on color schemes and it ended up as Army Vs. Marines flame-for-all. I have nothing against the USMC nor am I in complete favor with the US Army, they are both good at what they do and let's leave it at that. Please, let's not divert out of the main premise of this topic, or else it will end up being locked and deleted and that won't help anyone.

As for Foliage green, is a more greysh shade of green that seems to be effective both in desert and woodland enviornments, where green is not a dominant color; as for Ranger Green, is more greenish and darker than foliage green and seems to be more effective in a dense jungle-like enviornment, where green is a dominant color.

ACUPAT and MARPAT, like most other camouflage schemes, have their advantages and shortcomings. the ACUPAT is more geared towards desert and urban enviornments while the MARPAT is best suited to one particular enviornment, hence having two color schemes according to the terrain they will encounter.

Personally, in terms of camouflage schemes, I prefer solid Coyote Brown in desert enviornments and a combination of Ranger Green and Dark Earth Brown  for woodland enviornments with no particular emphasis on patterns.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay there has been a little movement on this. I just got my new giant sized Blackhawk catalog in the mail and they have a synthetic taclight holder, pistol holsters and other stuff in Foliage Green.

I hope other manufactures hop in on this.

See the Fastex bucles on this soldier's molle pouches? They are Foliage Green. Notice how they are a good neutral color...not like the Black M-4 he is carrying, which blends into nothing.

Unfortunatly, Blackhawk has chosen to mark up anything in ARPAT by 15-25%
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm in for #2
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Its sad that the Germans knew about neutral colors in WWII, but it has taken the greatest military on earth 50+ years to figure it out
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]
NonConformist, not only the Germans, but also the Imperial Forces are aware of the utility of Foliage Green. Here we see General Veers as he leads the ground assault on the Rebel's secret Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth; his battle armor is clearly a neutral grey-green:

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
NonConformist, not only the Germans, but also the Imperial Forces are aware of the utility of Foliage Green. Here we see General Veers as he leads the ground assault on the Rebel's secret Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth; his battle armor is clearly a neutral grey-green:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/veers1.jpg

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/veers3.jpg

However the Imperial KKK grand wizard next to him needs to lose the "here I am" white
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
But alas young man, the KKK stormtrooper will blend in on Hoth, an ice planet!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marpat is far superior.

Marpat is a older coor scheme, and its for marines.  Nuff said on that one, theres a reason Army gets the best gear.

MARPAT is probably the greatest camoflauge we have ever used.

See the marine against the light sky?  See the marine against the darker earth/stone?  Perfect picture to demonstrate how MARPAT works and why it works so well.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
That foliage green is a great color, so is coyote. I wonder what the two would look like together?

I believe the Multicam is the best pattern/color blend on the market.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top