Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:03:22 PM EDT
i did a search and looked i didnt see anything about this ,  How do you go about legaly owning a Supressor for a AR-15 ? i know you need a Title II but what are the Requirements ? i looked at ATF.gov and didnt see anything , Also searched on Google and yahoo for it also for a Title II and Class II didnt find alot , i know the people here will know more.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
First, find out if they're legal to own in your state. If so, find a local Class III dealer and find out about getting a CLEO sign-off in your jurisdiction. If it's legal and your CLEO will sign off on it, buy your suppressor and submit your paperwork to ATF. When it comes back approved with your $200 stamp, you can then take possession of your silencer.

There's a little more to it than that, but that's the basics of it. Best thing to do would be to find a local CIII and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to contact your Secretary of State and explain that you need a packet to apply for a license reference a tax stamp.  You have to be finger printed, they have to perform a long criminal history check on you, and the sheriff of your county has to personally sign off on your request and may want to know why you are wanting to own a suppressor.  This whole process may take a few months so be patient.  And whoever is selling you a suppressor will not let you touch it until they have proof that you are legally allowed to have it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Im stationed in Mississippi with the Military  but i am From NC , both are legal to own in both states , so im kinda in a diffrent boat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im stationed in Mississippi with the Military  but i am From NC , both are legal to own in both states , so im kinda in a diffrent boat.

Just curious Elbow, Where are you stationed, Im from meridian.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Keesler AFB , Biloxi
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
you will find a lot of answers in the m16 full auto forum.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
is there a link , i read a lot in the Full auto forum but not a Well written one .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
As for buying a suppressor, it really isn't as hard to do as it seems. If you can own a firearm, you can own NFA items. First, you need to make sure that they are legal in your state--I think that they are in something like 33 states. If they are, then you need to locate a Class 3 dealer in your state. You can either buy from your dealer's stock, or have him order directly from the manufacturer if he doesn't carry the model you want. You will pay for the suppressor before filling out the paperwork, but the suppressor must stay at the dealer's shop until you are approved.

The dealer will provide you with two Form 4's, two fingerprint cards, and a citizenship form. You then take this paperwork to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in your area. This will usually be either the County Sheriff or Chief of Police (depending on whose jurisdiction you live in.) The CLEO will sign your paperwork and fingerprint you on the cards. If you live in an area where the CLEO refuses to sign Form 4's, you can form a simple corporation (LLC, etc.) and then are exempt from the CLEO signature and fingerprints. You will then need to attach a passport photo to each of the Form 4's, and send all completed paperwork to the BATF along with a one-time fee of $200. (Some dealers send the paperwork in for you.)

Then you wait. It usually takes about 4 months for the BATF to approve your paperwork. When they do, they will send it to the dealer. When your dealer receives the approved paperwork, they will notify you to come pick up your suppressor. Make a photocopy of the Form 4, and keep the original in a safe place. Carry the photocopy with the suppressor in case an LEO should ever question you about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As for buying a suppressor, it really isn't as hard to do as it seems. If you can own a firearm, you can own NFA items. First, you need to make sure that they are legal in your state--I think that they are in something like 33 states. If they are, then you need to locate a Class 3 dealer in your state. You can either buy from your dealer's stock, or have him order directly from the manufacturer if he doesn't carry the model you want. You will pay for the suppressor before filling out the paperwork, but the suppressor must stay at the dealer's shop until you are approved.

The dealer will provide you with two Form 4's, two fingerprint cards, and a citizenship form. You then take this paperwork to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in your area. This will usually be either the County Sheriff or Chief of Police (depending on whose jurisdiction you live in.) The CLEO will sign your paperwork and fingerprint you on the cards. If you live in an area where the CLEO refuses to sign Form 4's, you can form a simple corporation (LLC, etc.) and then are exempt from the CLEO signature and fingerprints. You will then need to attach a passport photo to each of the Form 4's, and send all completed paperwork to the BATF along with a one-time fee of $200. (Some dealers send the paperwork in for you.)

Then you wait. It usually takes about 4 months for the BATF to approve your paperwork. When they do, they will send it to the dealer. When your dealer receives the approved paperwork, they will notify you to come pick up your suppressor. Make a photocopy of the Form 4, and keep the original in a safe place. Carry the photocopy with the suppressor in case an LEO should ever question you about it.

Thanks for the Reply M4 , But is a supressor treated like a Title III Weapon ? Has to be secured in a safe , BATF can come to your house 1 time a year and inspect the place , 4th Ammd rights etc ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the Reply M4 , But is a supressor treated like a Title III Weapon ? Has to be secured in a safe , BATF can come to your house 1 time a year and inspect the place , 4th Ammd rights etc ?

This is not needed for Title 3 weapons.  BATF cant come to your house and inspect the place and can only ask to see your tax stamp while they wait at the front door.  Where did you get such bad information?  We are not Class3 dealers we are individuals who retain all individual rights.  This kind of spreading misinformation is why I took so long to take the Class3 plunge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not needed for Title 3 weapons.  BATF cant come to your house and inspect the place and can only ask to see your tax stamp while they wait at the front door.  Where did you get such bad information?  We are not Class3 dealers we are individuals who retain all individual rights.  This kind of spreading misinformation is why I took so long to take the Class3 plunge.

i was just wondering about if a supressor was treated like  a class III had to be stored in a safe etc,  there needs to be a thread made up about all the Lisence and Titles so that people can read that and then have most of thier questions anwsered.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was just wondering about if a supressor was treated like  a class III had to be stored in a safe etc,  there needs to be a thread made up about all the Lisence and Titles so that people can read that and then have most of thier questions anwsered.

But class 3 weapons do not have to be stored in a safe and noone can come to your door was my point.  You made a statement about Class 3 weapons that was an assumption to what was true to anyone who read it and did not know better.  The only real difference is suppressors can be transfered between states with no paperwork while autos and SBRs require you to fax in a form to get consent to transport.  Youd do better to ask questions in the full auto forum.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...BATF can come to your house 1 time a year and inspect the place , 4th Ammd rights etc ?

From Bardwell:

NFA WEAPONS AND THE 4TH AMENDMENT

...As to one who is neither a FFL nor SOT, but only owns weapons
regulated under the National Firearms Act, ATF may only compel you
to show an agent upon request the registration paperwork, that is
the Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever else might have been used to
register the weapon.  See 26 U.S.C. sec. 5841(e).  They do not have
any right to compel you to produce the weapon.  As always the
Fourth amendment applies, and ATF may not enter your home or other
place of storage of the NFA weapon, nor seize the weapon, without
a warrant, or without falling under an exception the Supreme Court
has created to the operation of the Fourth amendment, or without
your consent.

www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...BATF can come to your house 1 time a year and inspect the place , 4th Ammd rights etc ?

From Bardwell:

NFA WEAPONS AND THE 4TH AMENDMENT

...As to one who is neither a FFL nor SOT, but only owns weapons
regulated under the National Firearms Act, ATF may only compel you
to show an agent upon request the registration paperwork, that is
the Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever else might have been used to
register the weapon.  See 26 U.S.C. sec. 5841(e).  They do not have
any right to compel you to produce the weapon.  As always the
Fourth amendment applies, and ATF may not enter your home or other
place of storage of the NFA weapon, nor seize the weapon, without
a warrant, or without falling under an exception the Supreme Court
has created to the operation of the Fourth amendment, or without
your consent.

www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt

Thanks M4Madness for the info!
I'm ready to take the dive but it is hard to decide which can to purchase for my COLT 6920. Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks.
INCIRLIK

ETA:  Appologize for the thread hi-jack!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks M4Madness for the info!
I'm ready to take the dive but it is hard to decide which can to purchase for my COLT 6920. Any info would be helpful.

5.56 Suppressor Comparison

I chose the SRT Hurricane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top