Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 10:22:59 AM EDT
Okay here's the deal. I'm wanting to build a precision AR and also install my Gemtech bilock so I can mount my suppressor. With the bull barrel I will have to get the muzzle threaded and part of the barrel turned down so the can will be able to mount. With a stainless HBAR the muzzle comes threaded so I can save a little there plus its lighter.

This gun will probably rarely be shooting beyond 200 yards, though I may one day use it for that. Will threading and turning the muzzle on the bull barrel affect accuracy much? Will I see much of a difference between the two within 200 yards? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The only way you will notice an accuracy difference between two barrels, assuming the profile is the only difference, is if the heavier gun is steadier. Mechanically the difference will be negligeable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont hink you will see a difference if you just go HBAR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
harmonics will be differnt as well but yeah you have to be able to push the rifle's accuracy to actually notice the difference
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on Harmonics
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of harmonics I keep seeing this donut looking device for sliding over the barrel made from NAVCOM to dampen harmonics.
Does this do anything besides lighten your wallet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'll be going HBAR. It probably won't be built for awhile (wife birthway next month and she's getting a Glock 26), but I'll post pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
i read a testimonial on the akboards of someone who used the a rubber barrel dampner (i think its that navcom one), and it melted from the barrel heat.  seems it doesn't like too much rapid firing......he had a good laugh out of it cause it happened to the guy next to him on the firing range...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top