Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:43:30 PM EDT
Today I received a barrel I purchased used.  It was advertised as a Colt barrel, but the markings don't match what is listed on the Lower Receiver & Mag Floorplate Rollmarks, Logos and Markings - pics back up thread.  According to the linked thread I should be seeing this:  

Instead my new (used) barrel has the following markings:

Did Colt change their markings or did I get taken to the cleaners?  

TIA,
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems alittle different,

Colt should have a barrel date or code under the handguards behind the front sight base and an "O" on the barrel just in front of the reciever on the angle part of the barrel

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Colt should have a barrel date or code under the handguards behind the front sight base

Like this?

Quoted:
and an "O" on the barrel just in front of the reciever on the angle part of the barrel

Like this?

If so, I'm starting to feel a little relieved.  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colt should have a barrel date or code under the handguards behind the front sight base

Like this?

home.comcast.net/~sweepstakesdave/IMG_0196arfcom.jpg

Quoted:
and an "O" on the barrel just in front of the reciever on the angle part of the barrel

Like this?

home.comcast.net/~sweepstakesdave/IMG_0198arfcom.jpg

If so, I'm starting to feel a little relieved.  

Thanks,

You got it, thats a Colt, love the odd parenthesis around the "C".

It's a keeper
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You got it, thats a Colt, love the odd parenthesis around the "C".

It's a keeper

Sweet.  Thank you sir for your help.  I wonder what the deal is with the parenthesis.  Perhaps someone else will be able to provide us with the proper edumacation.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a 1994 Colt's M4 barrel, and lacks the F stamp.  The markings have changed.  The (C) was changed to C the next year, later that same year the two digit barrel code was changed to a date code.  The F stamped FSB with the higher platform for the front sight post was adopted later, not sure exactly when though.

ETA, I would bet that old barrel does not have the 4 stamped on the barrel extention either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT with a question, is the barrel extention marked with a "4".  Does it have the deep M4 ramps?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It does have the M4 feedramps, but does not appear to be marked with a "4".  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It does have the M4 feedramps, but does not appear to be marked with a "4".  

Thoughts?

I never had one of these barrels, there was a vender selling them a few months back and these questions came up.  Did not remember what the deal was with the extention, other then it was different.  Makes sense to me that they are not marked, but have ramps.  I think the ramps were there from the begining, and as you have noticed the markings have changed (along with the FSB).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Who was the vender that was selling these, I would like one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
JT Distributing has these exact barrels.  I just finished installing one on a Colt M4 A2 upper I had.  The extension is not marked with a 4,  but does have extended feed ramps.  The front sight base is not F marked either.  Very nice barrel,  I am pleased.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
JT Distributing has these exact barrels.  I just finished installing one on a Colt M4 A2 upper I had.  The extension is not marked with a 4,  but does have extended feed ramps.  The front sight base is not F marked either.  Very nice barrel,  I am pleased.

Thanks for the tip.........
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Another interesting tid bit I just learned about these (C) marked barrels.  They were used on the Colt Government Carbine Model 727 as far back as 1989, got a 1989 727 upper on the way.  It has M4 ramps, no 4 on the receiver, or extension.  I figure it don't have the O stamp, or the two digit code marking though, will see..............
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Another interesting tid bit I just learned about these (C) marked barrels.  They were used on the Colt Government Carbine Model 727 as far back as 1989, got a 1989 727 upper on the way.  It has M4 ramps, no 4 on the receiver, or extension.  I figure it don't have the O stamp, or the two digit code marking though, will see..............

Ekie,  thanks for the info.  My barrel doesn't have the O stamp,  two digit code,  or 4 on the extension.  My M4 feed ramps do look a little diferent on this barrel than they do on my M4 SOCOM barrel.  I wonder if Colt was machining the ramps at this point yet.  They look a little more polished than sharp,  although they are parkerized.  Let me know how your barrel looks when you get it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ekie,  thanks for the info.  My barrel doesn't have the O stamp,  two digit code,  or 4 on the extension.  My M4 feed ramps do look a little diferent on this barrel than they do on my M4 SOCOM barrel.  I wonder if Colt was machining the ramps at this point yet.  They look a little more polished than sharp,  although they are parkerized.  Let me know how your barrel looks when you get it.  Thanks

Sure, will post details once it is in hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top