Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 5:00:16 PM EDT
This build is a Recce inspired Midlength. Based on a 16" Denny's GTS mid length barrel. Details on the barrel here I also used a Denny's GTS lower from CMT. I matched the serial number of the lower to the number of the barrel. The barrel and FSB were marked with a number to match them after parkerizing. Details on the Denny's GTS lowers here I used CMT/Stag parts through out the build for consistent quality. THe CMT upper is a perfect fit with the GTS lower as well as a good color match.

4/14/06 UPDATE

I had planned on building another Operator using a LaRue 9.0 tube and dot sight. After talking with Denny it looked like the Operator barrels are a ways out so I decided to use this barrel for that build. I am using a 16.1 Noveske Recon with a 13.2 inch tube to replace thish original build.

I decided to use a EoTECH 512 and LaRue riser.

New Pics:

Tools/materials Used:
DPMS action block
DPMS barrel wrench
Small ballpeen hammer
1/8" roll pin punch
Small tube of bearing grease for thread lube
9/64 allen wrench for LaRue tube and gas block
Blue loctite
Vise on my mini-mill

Lower:
Receiver - Dennys GTS by Stag/CMT
LPK - CMT (from Dennys)
Stock - Vltor Clubfoot (Eagle Firearms)
Buffer - Vltor H
Grip - MagPul MIAD (Denny)
KNS pins (Denny)
MI single point adapter QD style (Bravo)
D&H black teflon mag with grey Gen2 Magpul follower (44mag)

Upper:
Receiver - CMT M4 T-marked - (Denny)
BCG and CH- CMT M16 with MP tested bolt (Denny)
BUISR - Troy (Denny)
BUISF - PRI (Denny) stock FSB
Optic - Burris 3x9-40 (SWFA) EoTECH 512 (SKD)
Optic mount - LaRue 1.5 SPR (Denny) LaRue EoTECH riser (SKD)
Barrel- Operator 16" Mid (Denny)
FF Rail - Larue 13.2 (GDS Enterprises) LaRue 9.0 (Dennys)
Rail Covers - TangoDown and MagPul (Denny)
VFG - TangoDown (Denny)
Bipod mount - Larue (Denny)
Bipod - Harris (Had it)
Flash Suppressor - YHM 5C2 Phantom (Denny)

PIX!

New pics 2/6/06 Dennys GTS lower assembled:

With Brother Skich SOCOM build:

Now Reconfigured! with LaRue 9.0 and EoTech.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Lokks good! What color did you decide on for your furniture?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice build, congrats!  Let us all know how that barrel shoots.

Not happy to hear of another CMT upper flaking though.    I had the same issue and really hope my replacement doesn't have the same problem.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lokks good! What color did you decide on for your furniture?

I'm a lover of black.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very nice build, congrats!  Let us all know how that barrel shoots.

Not happy to hear of another CMT upper flaking though.    I had the same issue and really hope my replacement doesn't have the same problem.

Will do.

Looks like there was a batch of bad uppers. The one I got from Bravo was fine.

Edit: 1/16/05 after further review the CMT upper from Bravo had the same finish issue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
So far it looks great, should be a shooter!

That DPMS action block is just perfect for installing LaRue rails!  I need to pick up one of those soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So far it looks great, should be a shooter!

That DPMS action block is just perfect for installing LaRue rails!  I need to pick up one of those soon.

Yes it is. I did my first LaRue using a clam type that I hacked up. This one is much nicer as it doesn't contact the finish on the receiver.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking good so far.

I also got my Operator barrel from Denny and I'm very satisfied with it, great quality.

I just upgraded my Colt 6721 tactical carbine with the Operator barrel, LaRue 9.0 (directly from Larue Tactical), Phoenix FS, TD panels & VFG, KAC BUIS, Magpul ladder rail protectors, MIAD grip, trigger guard, Norgon mag catch, KNS pins, Stag Arms ambi selector, Vltor club foot modstock kit & buffer tube sling mount and BlueForce IDF style sling. All my parts are from the EE boards.

I used my new tools which are Model 1 Sales clam type 3 pc action block, YHM handguard wrench (which I got from Bravo Company) and my old Sears large strap wrench. I was lucky, no scratches.

I also used my Schuster upper holder (from ADCO) to install the handguard tube, FSB and FS.

My furniture color are dark earth/ coyote. I'll post pics and range report later after I tested mine.

Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looking good so far.

I also got my Operator barrel from Denny and I'm very satisfied with it, great quality.

I just upgraded my Colt 6721 tactical carbine with the Operator barrel, LaRue 9.0 (directly from Larue Tactical), Phoenix FS, TD panels & VFG, KAC BUIS, Magpul ladder rail protectors, MIAD grip, trigger guard, Norgon mag catch, KNS pins, Stag Arms ambi selector, Vltor club foot modstock kit & buffer tube sling mount and BlueForce IDF style sling. All my parts are from the EE boards.

I used my new tools which are Model 1 Sales clam type 3 pc action block, YHM handguard wrench (which I got from Bravo Company) and my old Sears large strap wrench. I was lucky, no scratches.

I also used my Schuster upper holder (from ADCO) to install the handguard tube, FSB and FS.

My furniture color are dark earth/ coyote. I'll post pics and range report later after I tested mine.

Good luck on your build.

Thanks.

Nice build. I need to get a small strap wrench myself. I've just tightened the ring by hand for now.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just upgraded my Colt 6721 tactical carbine with the Operator barrel, LaRue 9.0 (directly from Larue Tactical), Phoenix FS, TD panels & VFG, KAC BUIS, Magpul ladder rail protectors, MIAD grip, trigger guard, Norgon mag catch, KNS pins, Stag Arms ambi selector, Vltor club foot modstock kit & buffer tube sling mount and BlueForce IDF style sling.

holy smokes -- what's left from the original 6721, just the roll pin that holds the fwd assist in???  

ar-jedi

(*)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Nice build. I need to get a small strap wrench myself. I've just tightened the ring by hand for now.

Thanks for the feedback.

I also didn't use a strap wrench at first because I wanted to check everything out before I used the blue loctite.

The strap wrench is not requied per the LaRue instructions because of the locking design but it's a good insurance that it's good and tight.

ar-jedi,

That was kind of funny thread but I don't have a problem with my forward assist now and specially with my former first AR-15 SP-1.

The only thing left from my 6721 was the upper, CH, M16 BCG and lower but the upgraded carbine is much lighter now than factory stock, thanks to Denny's barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump and Update.

I was adding the parts I got Saturday and noticed the same finish flaking on the inside of the upper from I assume the carrier rubbing that edge. I then tested some other external sharp edges and sure enough, flaking.

Per Paul at Bravo I'll be sending this one back to Stag directly.

I have since ordered yet another upper, this time from Denny's again with a note to not send me one with flaking finish .

Just to note that i tried the same thing on my CMMG and LMT uppers and the finish did not fall off.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump and Update.

I was adding the parts I got Saturday and noticed the same finish flaking on the inside of the upper from I assume the carrier rubbing that edge. I then tested some other external sharp edges and sure enough, flaking.

Per Paul at Bravo I'll be sending this one back to Stag directly.

I have since ordered yet another upper, this time from Denny's again with a note to not send me one with flaking finish .

Just to note that i tried the same thing on my CMMG and LMT uppers and the finish did not fall off.

On the CMT finish issue.  I have two more cases of uppers coming and they are a fresh batch.  I will check them over for any finish issues.

I have built on and sold hundreds of CMT/Stag uppers and had no problems at all.  I think there was just a freak batch.

Update when the new ones arrive will be posted.

Denny

Thanks Denny
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice Job -  comp1911

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So the DPMS action block is stable enough to do a barrel/float tube install?  I mean as opposed to vise blocks.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So the DPMS action block is stable enough to do a barrel/float tube install?  I mean as opposed to vise blocks.  

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump for update!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Count one more for a flaky upper finish.  I have more "wear" on this upper in three trips to the range than I have ever seen on any of my uppers-- including one other CMT and four colts.

The operator barrel has worked great, tho!

Denny, are you working with CMT on that question?

GH
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've built 8 rifles on mine, 6 of them w/ YHM FF HG's, 1 w/ a Samson, and 1 w/ standarg rifles HG's

It's never even come close to causing a problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Count one more for a flaky upper finish.  I have more "wear" on this upper in three trips to the range than I have ever seen on any of my uppers-- including one other CMT and four colts.

GH

The last batch from CMT were fine.  I guess the anodizer just screwed the pootch on one batch.  All is back to normal now, except for delivery time.

I am expecting another case of M4 cut uppers today.  Standard uppers in stock and are all fine.

Denny

Yeah, the two replacements from Stag and one from Denny were fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GH

The last batch from CMT were fine.  I guess the anodizer just screwed the pootch on one batch.  All is back to normal now, except for delivery time.

I am expecting another case of M4 cut uppers today.  Standard uppers in stock and are all fine.

Denny

I just got in another 2 cases of CMT M4 uppers and they tested just fine.  Back in business

PS If have ordered a CMT M4 upper in the last 10 days or so it will be on the way tomorrow.

Denny

Is this something I should be worried about with the CMT upper I got from you a few weeks ago?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GH

Denny

I just got in another 2 cases of CMT M4 uppers and they tested just fine.  Back in business

PS If have ordered a CMT M4 upper in the last 10 days or so it will be on the way tomorrow.

Denny

Is this something I should be worried about with the CMT upper I got from you a few weeks ago?

If you rub a finger nail over a sharp edge and the finish stays on you are good to go. If it flakes off, send it back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump for final update and crappy pix
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
How,s that baby shoot ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How,s that baby shoot ?

Dunno yet, too cold and too much snow in northern MN. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll get it out
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump for revamped format.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
comp1911

Your rifle has evolved into one of the best laid out AR's I have seen.  Nice work.  Clean and to the point.

Denny

Thanks Denny.

As soon as you get your batch of lowers in I can finish my BCM middy. I also want to another build around an Operator barrel, similar to your Operator build.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Damn That's got a short barrel
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Dsc00777.jpg

Damn That's got a short barrel

Heh

That lower looks like this now.

Details on the Colt SOCOM M4 build here
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
comp1911

Great looking work by you, as usual.

Denny

Thanks Denny.

Here's the upper, Noveske Recon and 13.2" tube you sent me this week.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top