Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:21 PM EDT
How do I determin the rate of twist in a barrel? I have an OLY that is not marked (that I can see)
I understand that I can't shoot certain gr bullets in higher rate twist barrels and not sure on this one.
Thanks
TODD
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Lay the gun down... Get a cleaning rod and put a patch on it... Insert the patch into the bore just enough to fully seat it into the lands... Near the handle of the cleaning rod wrap a piece of tape around the rod... Place a small mark on the tape to use as reference (notice I said small)... Lay a ruler thats at least 16 inches long next to the cleaning rod... Looking at the reference mark you put on the tape, note where it is compared to the ruler... Push the cleaning rod into the bore (using the handle) and measure the distance it takes for the reference mark to rotate one full revolution... The distance it takes to complete one full revolution is your approximate twist rate...

Example: If the reference mark on the tape travels 7" to complete one full revolution, the barrel is 1:7 twist...

8" to complete one full revolution = 1:8 twist...
9" to complete one full revolution = 1:9 twist...
10" to complete one full revolution = 1:10 twist...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top