Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 3:35:27 PM EDT
Wilson Arms 1in9 chrome lined

DPMS 1in9 chrome lined

DPMS 1in7 chrome lined

Help..oh and why would ya pick

doing a del-ton kit and need to figure out which barrel.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lined DPMS or Chrome moly barrel steel?  Not often you see a chrome lined DPMS barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
wilson 1 in 9 chrome lined thats the heat
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll go with what bigbore says.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
1/7
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Chrome lined DPMS or Chrome moly barrel steel?  Not often you see a chrome lined DPMS barrel.

All three barrels are avertised as Chrome Lined
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If those were my only choices, for a non mission specific AR(fun gun), I'd buy what ever was the cheapest.  They'll all work the same.

I want the one that offers the best in overall life and ammo variety. so realy i am asking on quality as far as which one is better wilson or dpms...the 1in7 was just an extra choice so I added it in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the intended purpose of this firearm?  What profile do you want (M4/HBAR/gov't/etc.)?  What weight ammunition do you plan on running through it?  If you want to run 75+ gr. I'd go with the DPMS 1/7.  1/9 should stabilize everything up to about 69 gr.  75's might not group as well.  I can speak for the Wilson Arms 1/8 match stainless barrel and it'll get a 3/4" group at 100 yards with good ammo, probably less with handloads.  I had a DPMS 1/7 chromed M4 barrel and it worked great.  Very accurate.  Of course, it was one of the earliest CMMG barrels that DPMS built to their specs.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Neither
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Neither

Ok maybe you didnt read the whole post short as it was you say neither but dont offer an explanation...thoose are the choices offered by the company for the rifle kits WILSON and DPMS....either ad helpful advise as this isnt general discusion..

or go somewhere else
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Wilson = Grossly overpriced just because it says Wilson Combat on it

I'd be quite surprised if they make their own barrels anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Got mk262?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#13]
In reality any of the listed barrels will serve you well. I'm sure many will post about the benefits of 1/7 twist, but that’s really only a factor if you’re shooting above 62-grain ammo. How many of us actually do that? No more than a tiny percentage at most. I know Adco has had great luck with the Wilson Arms barrels that they sell. M4arc has a DPMS barrel on his "Mutt" that has never failed him after at least 10,000 rounds. Pick the barrel that’s cheaper and spend the extra cash on ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He is talking about Wilson Arms not Wilson Combat.

Wilson arms barrels

Wilson Arms supplies blanks to many of the AR manufactures including RRA and DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm sure many will post about the benefits of 1/7 twist, but that’s really only a factor if you’re shooting above 62-grain ammo. How many of us actually do that?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wilson arms barrels

Wilson Arms supplies blanks to many of the AR manufactures including RRA and DPMS.

Neither RRA or DPMS do anything to their barrels other than assemble them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wilson arms barrels

Sorry, that's what I meant.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure many will post about the benefits of 1/7 twist, but that’s really only a factor if you’re shooting above 62-grain ammo. How many of us actually do that?

That was not intended as a flame on you. I just have a different opinion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know. Just saying I do! I do! (to the detriment of my wallet )

But This is the report that mde me switch to the 77gr  as the ammo I zero, train with and keep on hand for serious use. I still keep plenty of XM193, XM855 on hand and shoot it through my 1/9 rifles, nor would I have a problem using it in a self defense situation. I just feel the 77gr is the most devastating 5.56mm cartridge when set up in the mk262 specification, or HPBT such as the Hornady TAP.

77 grain OTM rounds in packaging.

77 grain performance in gel (close up of deep fragmentation).

Recovered fragments by depth (8-13").

Ballistic performance of the 77 grain round (left to right, 77 NATO 14.5", 77 NATO 16", 77 SAAMI 16")
(Fragmentation thresholds in red).

Just my opinion, not try to start a 77grain war. M193 and M855 are still very effective when used appropriately. Your results may vary.

Of course none of them will touch the  R1M1 I keep on hand!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2

I'm mostly shooting the Black Hills stuff, with some Hornady 75gr thrown in.  What do you use? Have you found/seen any of the plain packaged mk262?
Been looking for that for a while.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wilson arms barrels

Sorry, that's what I meant.

this is what i was thinking too, so that makes two of the choices the same.

i would get both
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If those were my only choices, for a non mission specific AR(fun gun), I'd buy what ever was the cheapest.  They'll all work the same.

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know. Just saying I do! I do! (to the detriment of my wallet )

But This is the report that mde me switch to the 77gr  as the ammo I zero, train with and keep on hand for serious use. I still keep plenty of XM193, XM855 on hand and shoot it through my 1/9 rifles, nor would I have a problem using it in a self defense situation. I just feel the 77gr is the most devastating 5.56mm cartridge when set up in the mk262 specification, or HPBT such as the Hornady TAP.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/box.jpg
77 grain OTM rounds in packaging.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/closeups1.jpg
77 grain performance in gel (close up of deep fragmentation).

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/frags.jpg
Recovered fragments by depth (8-13").

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/12sdsd.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/16200zero.gifimg.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/121.jpg
Ballistic performance of the 77 grain round (left to right, 77 NATO 14.5", 77 NATO 16", 77 SAAMI 16")
(Fragmentation thresholds in red).

Just my opinion, not try to start a 77grain war. M193 and M855 are still very effective when used in appropriately. Your results may vary.

Of course none of them will touch the  R1M1 I keep on hand!

You also forgot to mention that 77gr projos are effected less by wind and other weather.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I said 1/9 DPMS

It all depends on your flavor of ammo. I normally shoot 55gr and rarely 62gr so 1/9 is ok for me.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
1x7 of any manufacture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top