Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 6:03:23 PM EDT
I'm building my 1st AR and want to construct an m4 style rifle. Im in CT where there is an awb.  If you guys could give me some options as far as barrels and muzzle breaks it would be a huge help.

The farthest I have gotten was a DPMS 14.5" M-4  PREBAN. put a gas block w/o a bayo lug and have a break pinned and welded......am I on the right track???? If so what are the "cool" post ban breaks and will they get me to 16" overall once installed.????  Thanks in advance!!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Your on the right track... The Phantom or Smith Enterprises Vortex permanently attached should work OK as an extension to get the barrel out to legal length... The Vortex is a bitch to pin and weld though... Also if your wanting the original A2 look, you can use the SDI Extended A2 Flash Hider... That is of course that you are permitted to have flash hiders in your state...

ETA: You might want to check in at your Home Town forum to ask your neighbors if flash hiders are legal where you live...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the EE.  Ever since the AWB passed, there have been tons of bargains from people who are selling their Post-Ban stuff for waaay cheaper than the normal prices.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in CT are you? I am in Bridgeport and have 4 AR's, two prebans and two postban and shoot with lots of guys with both types and NFA AR's. I had a cav comp on one of my rifles and loved it. That upper is currently been remade to preban status and now sports an A2 FH but in retrospect I really see no reason why I changed it, as the cav comp looked the part and was a great piece.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and for a post ban M4geryw itha  14.5, take a look at the new Phantom break thats out, saw one up at Newington Gun Exchange the other day, looks nice and when perm attached satisfies NFA and CT AWB laws.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
where can I find a pic of that break online? Also any suggestions for where to get it pinned and welded and how much that costs?? I'm in Enfield.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the Ameetec arms website, they sell Cav Arms stuff. It is essentially an A2 FH with a blanked off end and a 223 hole in the middle.

I would recomend Joseph's in New Britain for all your AR smithing needs. They do good work and if they do mess up they will always take care of you. A friend of mine dropped off his upper to have a cav comp I sold him pinned and welded a few days ago. Aside from that anyone with a drill press and welding equipment can do it.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
cost?? and do you think that cav comp break will get me to 16"?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, my bad, I thought you were asking about the cav comp. For 16 OAL you'll need either a Mini Y or the new Phantom from YHM.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
SWEET! you definately pointed me right!! bushmaster offers a 14.5 bbl assy w/ the izzy brake installed, BUT seeing that this is my first build here comes another stupid question. If I were to buy their post ban 14.5 barrel assy w/ the brake perm. installed how would I replace the front sight???
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SWEET! you definately pointed me right!! bushmaster offers a 14.5 bbl assy w/ the izzy brake installed, BUT seeing that this is my first build here comes another stupid question. If I were to buy their post ban 14.5 barrel assy w/ the brake perm. installed how would I replace the front sight???

You can't, unless you uninstall and reattach the permanently attached muzzle device.  That means no flip up front sights or free float tubes.  It sucks.  You will definitely want to have the upper built in your "dream" configuration the first time, because it will be a major PITA to alter it later.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Not truwe, he can absolutely replace the FSB with a flip up. To do so with a stock bushy Izzy pinned comp you would have to dremel the FSB off and replace it with a set screw flip up FSB. What is your budget here and what are you trying to build?

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
budget.. 1K  give or take........as far as use hmm.... short range fun!!   Vendors make flip ups that are two peice, correct?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
This is kind of fun lol. Stand by, I'll be back with links in a bit to show you some options, most of which can be had form YHM. Oh, IM inbound as well..

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you considered just looking for a pre ban M4gery? I recently aquired a pre ban EA lower with bushmaster 14.5 with pinned phantom for 600 for a complete rifle. Admittedly I got a hell of a deal but pre ban rifles complete for 800 are fairly common and you need not worry about the CT bullshit, then again for a 14.5 you're gonna get your muzzle device pinned regardless.

I suggest if you go post ban, figure out exactly what you want. Then have someone in the area help you build it yourself (there are quite a few of us AR enthusiasts with barrel wrenche and blocks etc in the area) then for the brake, take it to Joeseph's and have it pinned and welded. Also if you go through Joseph's, he gets great prices on Stag/CMT stuff since he is litterally down the street from them so I highly recomend them.

Now for the links..

Flip up FSB

Phantom Brake
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks a million for the help!!  Those flip ups are right in line w/ what I was thinking of! I want to build this thing from parts as completely as possible so I'm trying not to buy anything alredy completed, good call though. And at this point the bushmaster option for bbl and brake are looking perfect for me.  I like the look of their brake and it shows up pinned and welded saving me time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I do recomend getting a pre built Stag lower, Newington Gun Exchange chrged me 148 for a complete lower minus stock and you can't beat that price. Also it had the nicest stock trigger I've yet used. I'd recomend going that route and picking up a used post ban stock off the equipment exchange for dirt cheap. Then get the bbl from a Bushy vendor and a CMT upper complete from Joseph's. I was there earler this week and he had a box of factory second CMT uppers with and without M4 feed ramps going for quite the price. They were blems but hard as I looked I could not notice anything on about 75% of the uppers I saw.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I went looking at those cmt m4 uppers and noticed something about requiring an m4 barrel extension. Will this upper work w/ that bushmaster bbl assy?   Do you recall what josephs was getting for the seconds?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Just thought I'd throw this out there since I also live in Postbanistan.  This is a factory DPMS upper with a 14.5" M4 barrel, A1(C7) upper, and a permanent Miculek brake.  It originally had M4 guards, but I swapped them out for the CAR set.  It's not very authentic, but it has been reliable and handles like a dream.  RGuns has them on closeout for $399 complete with bolt.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Steve, I grabbed one of those cmt uppers @Josephs today. They were very helpfull w/ everything and I think I will get a 14.5" threaded and have him put that phantom brake on. He quoted me 60 for the brake and install which seems fair. Great shop though! thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Great, maybe they'll cut me a deal next time I'm there since I threw em some buisness ;) lol

Joseph's will help you out. As you saw they do mostly AR work and are more gunsmiths then a gun store. Anything else you need just drop me an IM if you need anything.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#21]
yup. Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top