Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 8:25:24 AM EDT
I was bored at work and decided to attack my midlength barrel with a few machine tools. I turned the section under the guards from .950 to .780 and in from of the sight went down to .680 with fluting. Not sure how it will work out when it heats up ut it did drop quite a bit of weight off.
The I decided I like the PRI style sight picture but have a YHM folding sight. hummmmmm Lathe, welder and mill abuse later and out pops this sight.
Yeah it has a crappy spray paint finifh right now till I try it out and see how it works. If I like it then I will get it parkerized then painted.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it will work fine.  Fluting may dissipate heat and you've still got quite a bit of metal under the handguard.  If it runs good, strip that spraypaint, re-parkerize it and then finish it with some Norrell's Moly-Resin.  It's available in tan flat.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think it will work fine.  Fluting may dissipate heat and you've still got quite a bit of metal under the handguard.  If it runs good, strip that spraypaint, re-parkerize it and then finish it with some Norrell's Moly-Resin.  It's available in tan flat.  MJD

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very nice work!!  
I really like the mod'ed YHM sight.

(just as a note:  If you notice any cycling issues, you may want to bump the FSB forward just a tiny bit. )

Thanks  I am not the best welder so you can see some flaws on the welding but it is the ring pretty thin and I didn't want to turn it into a lil ball of slag.
I was going to make a shim to space the sight forward but when I tried it out before the mods it worked fine. Now to bolt everything back together and hopefully give it  atry this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks Good so far
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets see the rest of the rifle. With the sweet job on the barrel and front sight, we need to see the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That's cool.

I like that PRI picture too.  

Nice work.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics of it assembled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet.

I'm bored too right now.  Where'd I put that welder.............................
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You're braver than me!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top