Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:10:07 AM EDT
How much of a difference will the choice of either chrome lined or chromoly make for someone shooting man sized targets at 100-200 yards?  I know the chromoly is suppose to be more accurate than the chrome lined but is that in regard to high precision target work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
At those distances for man sized targets there will be no noticable difference.  The USMC qualifies out to 500 yards on man sized targets with issue chrome lined barrels.

In precision work a non-chrome lined barrel may give you .25MOA-.5MOA better groupings if you do your part.  On average most folks will not notice it unless they do a lot of 600+ yard shooting and in that case most will probably already be using stainless match barrels.

IIRC, a dealer here mentioned that he belived that a majority of chrome lined barrels were MOA shooters right out of the box.  I agree with him, but unfortunately most of us are not natural born MOA shooters...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I was talking to the owner of ABS and he mentioned that Chrome vanadium steel barrels are more accurate than Chrome lined and Stainless, but the accurate life tapers off dramatically, and not gradually as with stainless.  

The Stainless barrels while slightly on a very small scale less accurate than chome vanadium steel are likely to give you 2-4times the accurate life of chrome moly, and that gradually tapers off.  From what he was saying it sounded like stainless was a far better idea than chome lined or chrome vanadium.

I do not know how that compares to chrome moly, but my point is that for what you are talking about, the accuracy isn't so much your major concern, as is accurate life, which is a cost and performance saving measure.  

It's looking like one of the stainless polygonals is worth more than four chrome lined barrels as 5000 rds usually have chrome lined barrels shooting worse than 3-4MOA and in need of replacement.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I think the chrome lined is the best choice for me.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top