Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 2:34:47 AM EDT
Does anyone have an specs on rate of fire and cooldown times for the Bushy 16" Superlight? I am running the stock front block and a YHM free floating front end. Does this have any bearing on the cooldown also? I am trying to get the info before I get back from Iraq and go CYCLIC at the range. Not trying to smoke it just get and idea so I dont waste my cash. Thanks.

No rest for the WICKED, and the good dont need any.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
dont know actual numbers but i havent had any problems cooking my bbl. with normal semi-auto shooting. i usually load up about ten 30rd mags and shoot them all with a few seconds between shots and the time it takes to reload.

the freefloat helps a bit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I (actually my wife) had my FIRST EVER failure to feed in over 12 years of owning my Bushmaster last weekend.  It currently wears a 16" superlight barrel on a flat-top upper.  I broke it down, oiled it, put it back together, and checked it over.  I then proceeded to unload two 30 round mags just as fast as I could pull the trigger and still keep it pointed safely downrange.  (fortunately, the range was deserted... only one other guy, with a Bushmaster, waaaay on the other end, so he didn't mind).  My wife took it back and continued to shoot it afterward with no more issues, and accuracy at 25 yards was still just fine.  Mine doesn't even have a free float forend, it's got Fobus M33 handguards on it, so it should get hotter quicker than a float tube.  I have no idea what happened, but it hasn't been cleaned in a while, and i was using some ammo the range had that I've never heard of.

I can't imagine overheating a Bushy superlight with a semi auto unless you just REALLLY tried to intentionally...  You know, a couple of Betas back to back...  

The superlight is my absolute FAVORITE configuration this 12 year old carbine has ever seen.  I'm considering more in the future.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
i am on my third lightweight bbl.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You bought the wrong barrel if you are looking to go "cyclic", then again, barrels are meant to be replaced, so use it the way you want and replace it when its shot out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly 30-40 rounds per minute sustained fire in a M16A1 could be maintained without resulting in damage to barrel. 16 incher should be same...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the information everyone. Hopefully I can go at the trigger slow enough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I remember correctly 30-40 rounds per minute sustained fire in a M16A1 could be maintained without resulting in damage to barrel. 16 incher should be same...

Sustained rate of fire for the M16 series is 12-15rpm. That is the rate of fire you can maintain indefinitely (though after about 30-40 minutes, the barrel will be white from the CLP smoking off).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top