Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 10:35:03 PM EDT
What are the differences in the Floated vs. Non Floated, and the chrome bore vs the chrome moly (steel) bore?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What are the differences in the Floated vs. Non Floated, and the chrome bore vs the chrome moly (steel) bore?

The handguards/tubes  are floated to prevent stress on the barrel from slings or other accy. which will reduce accuracy.
Chrome-Moly is the material that most barrels except for stainless barrels are made of.  Many Chrome-Moly barrels are chrome lined for a longer life and corrosion resistance.  The chrome lined barrels are supposed to be less accurate than a standard Chrome-Moly barrel to some degree.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah but what kind of accuracy differences are we looking at?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
FF v. Non-FF:  HUGE!

I was shooting a Colt HBAR and the POI shifted noticably at 200 yards depending on where I rested the rifle on the sandbags.

My FF rifle didn't have a shift i the POI based on where I sat it on the sandbags!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
FF .vs Non FF can make a one or two MOA shift if you really tighter up on the sling, with heavier barrels deflecting less.

Chrome .vs non-chrome is minimal, anyone who can tell the diference should be using a stainless match barrel.

Just MHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top