Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 3:39:53 AM EDT
How does it compare with your other barrels?  Build quality, accuracy, etc.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two, and they are BOTH excellent barrels in 1/7 twist and shoot Black Hills 77grn. SMKs quite accurately.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an 11.5" CMMG chrome lined medium profile barrel with 1:7" rifling, 5.56 Nato chamber. The parkerizing is nice and uniform and the front sight base is forged and properly pinned in place. The muzzle threads are made correctly with a final pass and seem well made. As far as chrome lining goes, the bore and chamber look good to go. The crowning is well made too.

I have shot about 4000 rounds through this one without problems. I haven't benched this setup for real accuracy tests, but from prone unsuppored position with an Aimpoint M2 and surplus ammo I can put 20 rounds into a 6" group at 150 meters every time. That's about 3.5 MOA, which is by no means an indication of superb accuracy, but goes a long way to prove consistency. The typical five shot groups have been around 1.5 MOA or so at the same distance.

Those figures may not look that impressive compared to many other results that you see posted on this forum, but this rifle is not meant for shooting groups and I shoot it unsupported. However, I have no doubts that this barrel could very well shoot MOA from prone supported position with an ACOG. Heck, I think I'll give it a go next week just for kicks.

For what it's worth, my friend has a CMMG 16" mid-length barrel in his recce carbine, and it is easily a sub-MOA barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and so far it's been really good.  Haven't had a chance to really shoot it a lot but I've been happy so far.  Really nicely made and finished.

Mine is a 16 inch M4 profile.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have;
- Bushmaster 14.5" 1/7 M4 w/perm 4port Phantom
- CMMG 14.5" 1/7 M4 w/perm 5port Phantom
And they are both equally excellant barrels, in fact I like the CMMG so much my current project is with one of their 14.7" LW w/perm A2's.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of their 1/7 M4 chrome lined 16" barrels a while back, installed it, and immediately started having extraction problems with all types of ammo.  Ripping the heads off of the cases.  I suspect an out of spec chamber was the problem.  I talked to CMMG, and they were very  helpful.  To make a long story short, they ended up replacing the barrel with a new one.  They get an A+ for good service.   John was determined to make it right.  The new barrel has been 100% reliable, but it is not exactly what I would call real accurate.  My 1/9 Bushmaster will shoot rings around the CMMG barrel regardless of the type of ammunition.  The 1/9 even shoots BH 75/77 grain ammo better than the CMMG barrel.  Go figure...

Overall, I guess it's OK, but frankly, I'm much happier with my 1/9 Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 16" Mod4 barrel.  1/7 chrome lined, etc.  It shoots good.  At 100 yards and a scope I can keep South African grouping at about 1".  Haven't tried stuff heavier that 55 gr. yet, but I plan to soon.  My only trouble was with South African and Wolf.  Those two must have soft rims or something because the extractor rips right through the rim about once every 30 rounds or so.  Winchester, LC, WCC, etc.  don't have that problem.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top