Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 4:05:18 PM EDT
Hi, I have a buddy in the market for a used AR-15, and he asked what to look for when inspecting a rifle.  I have 9mm AR so, my mechanism is different than that of a normal AR.  What can I tell him to look for, and what to inspect when looking for a used AR?  Thanks for your help.

SAS
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody, knows what to look for on a used ar-15?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I’ll chime in. I’d first look at the overall condition of the exterior. Next I’d field strip the rifle and inspect the bolt and carrier paying attention to the bolt lugs, cam pin and gas key for tightness. Look down the bore checking for condition. Check the barrel extension/chamber area for cleanliness.  Look down the barrel over the sights to check for FSB alignment. Check where the sights are set at which might suggest an over torqued barrel or misaligned FSB. Grasp the FSB and rear of the upper receiver and attempt to twist the barrel. This will reveal if the barrel is loose in the upper receiver. On the lower receiver check for interior cleanliness. With the hammer released wiggle the hammer from side to side to check for worn hammer pin holes in the lower. Do the same with the trigger. Inspect the condition of the bolt catch, paying attention for signs of cracks that might suggest that the hammer was often dropped with the receivers separated. Reassemble the weapon and perform a function check. Off the top of my head that’s about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
dang i think that about covers it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top