Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2005 4:58:20 PM EDT
Which kind of stripped lower reciever should I buy? I want a quality recievr that will last for a long time. I also don't want to spend an inordinate amount of money on it. HOWEVER: DON'T RANT, UNLESS YOU CAN SUBSTANTIATE WITH PROFF/ EVIDENCE/ A GOOD STORY! I was considering:

SOCOM Mfg. Black Diamond Billet Reciever
Bushmaster
Arma-Lite
KAC
LMT
Lauer Custom Weaponry
added: what was I thinking? OF COURSE COLT! Also, anyone have any experience with them custom engraved ones that u see on the EE with custom selector markings, mosel, serial, cal, and image? I was thinking of making a zombie gun!MOD. ZOMBAR-15 CAL 5.56MM Z-KILLER SER. Z001 along with an image of a zombie head! Onthly thing is theyre spensive: $299

Let me know!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
CT, hmmmmmmm, probably can't have a RLL/RDIAS there, so that may not be an issue.  If so, only a few lower receivers accept these, Bushmaster being one.

1.  I prefer Bushmaster.  That's just me.
2.  You can't get just an Armalite lower receiver.  They come with complete rifles only, unless you find a person parting out a rifle.
3.  I think the SOCOM is gaudy, for lack of a better term.
4.  KAC, see 1., if I'm not mistaken.
5.  LMTs are every bit as good as any out there.  See 1.
6.  Lauer.  See 5.

Why isn't Colt on the list????
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Which kind of stripped lower reciever should I buy? I want a quality recievr that will last for a long time. I also don't want to spend an inordinate amount of money on it. HOWEVER: DON'T RANT, UNLESS YOU CAN SUBSTANTIATE WITH PROFF/ EVIDENCE/ A GOOD STORY! I was considering:

Bushmaster
Arma-Lite
KAC
LMT
Lauer Custom Weaponry

Let me know!

SOCOM=NOT-Milspec & what Mongo said.

Bushmaster= Good to go

Armalite= Not available as a stripped receiver, but you can get a Eaglearms stripped lower. Same thing, different logo.

KAC= GOOD LUCK! If you can get your hands on one, go for it!

LMT/Lauer= Same thing, different logo. You will not find a stripped LMT lower, at least not a new one. The anodizing on the LMT's and Lauer's has been inconsistant. I have 3 Lauer's and they were all purple-ish. I refinished them all with Norrells flat black.

Another option I think you should look at, is the new Noveske stripped lowers which are manufactured by CMT. They have a cool logo, and are top quality.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster
Arma-Lite
KAC
LMT
Lauer Custom Weaponry

Let me know!

Bushmaster= Good to go

Armalite= Not available as a stripped receiver, but you can get a Eaglearms stripped lower. Same thing, different logo.

LMT/Lauer= Same thing, different logo. You will not find a stripped LMT lower, at least not a new one. The anodizing on the LMT's and Lauer's has been inconsistant. I have 3 Lauer's and they were all purple-ish. I refinished them all with Norrells flat black.

Another option I think you should look at, is the new Noveske stripped lowers which are manufactured by CMT. They have a cool logo, and are top quality.

Hey, Nick, how's tricks?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a RRA lower for my first build.  I had two complete Colts before.  I really like the RRA.  As to proof -- just my experience.  Now, the tougher question...what do you want to use it for?  I think that is the bigger question.  Decide what your requirements are first, then get the equipment that fits those requirements.  Otherwise, you are just turning in circles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster
Arma-Lite
KAC
LMT
Lauer Custom Weaponry

Let me know!

Bushmaster= Good to go

Hey, Nick, how's tricks?

Better and better every day Mongo

+1 on the RRA lowers as Wolf_Warrior suggested. Their lower receivers are the only thing I would get from RRA though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not Stag?  Unless you are the type that cant stand the logo they do make a good lower.  Both of mine have held up great.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why not Stag?  Unless you are the type that cant stand the logo they do make a good lower.  Both of mine have held up great.

CMT/Stag is top quality for sure. I would pay the extra $25 or so for the Noveske logo though. I cant dig the Stag logo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, Colt's overpriced.  You pay a huge premium to have the prancing pony on it and it does nothing for overall performance.

No shot peening, MP testing, etc. on a lower to make it any better than any other out there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd vote for the Noveske lower as well. CMT quality with the cool Noveske logo.

The last I heard there's a small wait until he does another run though.

I'd also reccomend RRA if you're looking for a tight fit. Bushy's are more than good enough as well.

Aside from non LEO Colt's, any of them will work just fine under most circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Guerrilla
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
LAR
Fulton Armory
Bushmaster
CMMG
STAG

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
+ 1 On RRA Lowers
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Also Stag Arms would be a good consideration they make great products all around and are based out of New Britain in Connecticut. I used a stripped Stag Lower for a build for of my officers and it came out great. The fit and finish of the lower when compleated were perfect. So again if you don't mind the stag logo well worth it for the price.

Veritas
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Mega. If you can stand the outrageously garish logo, excess writing, and if you don't mind the gator grip, it's hard to beat the Mega lowers. They have easily the best machining of any lower on the market (no chatter, no forging seams, inside of trigger area is smooth), an extremely heavy duty coating (friend pounded on his with a rock; no damage), and a price that is difficult to beat (~$90 delivered). The pistol grip area is not radiused correctly on some, causing issues with grips like the TD Battlegrip.

RRA used to be my top pick, as far as subdued logo, good finish, good machining, and good price. They're still an excellent lower, but the value as declined with the price increase. I used to have one.

My experience with PWA and LMT lowers indicates that they are absolutely nothing special, except for the subdued and professional looking logos. The pistol grip attachment area is still not radiused correctly, and grips like the TD Battlegrip will mount with a tilt. FWIW, I currently own a PWA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I think if I ever go into business manufacturing guns, I'll name my company "Zombie Guns"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Stag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
+2 for Stag Arms
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#18]
BIG +1 for bushmaster for future rdias or rll.

i have used/own quite a few different "name brand" lowers and have yet to run into one that didnt work.

the list follows.

bushmaster(majority)
dpms
rra
doublestar
eagle
ameetec
mega
stag
colt
the custom engraved lowers you see are probably from mopar in which he uses dpms lowers but i think he is about to start offering his own custom lowers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I'ld buy CMT.  

I've had RRA BM Colt, Olympic, and double star and wouldn't bother with BM anymore-- the RRA, doublestar, and CMT are good-- my guess is double star could easilly be CMT thought so why not just get a CMT?

My olympic is one of the really really old ones probably cast and to save the trouble of buying a new one I'm going to see if they can re-run it.  

I guess I need to clarify-- nohing wrong with any of these lowers, but why pay more when CMT logo recievers offer the same or better quality at a lower price.  Cut through the bullshit and buy a CMT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Some of the lowers people say they would buy are made by the same company as the lowers those same people say they would not buy.

CMT and LAR; those two manufacturers make a good product and most brands are made by them.

That said, I like Ameetec because Warren is a good guy and he didn't trash his lowers with pictures of goofy animals. I also like the POF lower because I am easily amused by pretty colors.

LMT makes their own lowers but are inconsistent so I personally avoid them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I am happy with my Tromix. Assembly was easy and the color match to my other uppers is pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
CT, hmmmmmmm, probably can't have a RLL/RDIAS there, so that may not be an issue.  If so, only a few lower receivers accept these, Bushmaster being one.

We can have full auto as long as it's full auto only.  If it's a select fire it's an 'assault weapon'... Moronic to say the least.

Also Colt's are 'named' on our ban list, so no 'AR-15's' or 'Sporters' for us.

As for the original question of the post, I'll say;

Mega (I love them)
Bushmaster
Eagle Arms
Stag/CMT (They're local)

It's all a question of personal taste...

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#23]
HOW ABOUT CMMG LOWERS ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#24]
"We can have full auto as long as it's full auto only. If it's a select fire it's an 'assault weapon'... Moronic to say the least."

Not true- both the RLL AND DIAS are or can be select fire systems-- the RLL takes a lot more work though.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
"We can have full auto as long as it's full auto only. If it's a select fire it's an 'assault weapon'... Moronic to say the least."

Not true- both the RLL AND DIAS are or can be select fire systems-- the RLL takes a lot more work though.  

You misunderstand.  I wasn't commenting on AR type weapons specifically.  But of you do have an AR type weapon, get a modified selector switch that goes safe to full and you're OK.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can have full auto as long as it's full auto only.  If it's a select fire it's an 'assault weapon'... Moronic to say the least.

Also Colt's are 'named' on our ban list, so no 'AR-15's' or 'Sporters' for us.

As for the original question of the post, I'll say;

Mega (I love them)
Bushmaster
Eagle Arms
Stag/CMT (They're local)

It's all a question of personal taste...

I dont know how you guys got the impression that I was going to go FA, but I just want a lower that looks good (reasonably), fuctions well, and will last. My first build will be a varmint 20" rifle. BUT; I hears that in those recievers that are "blocked" against FA, you can't install some triggers. If this is true, I prolly want an unblocked one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Finish wise, I've liked the RRA's.  I have a rifle built on an older RRA, with the old rollmark that was text only.  It's the nicest lower I've seen, ever, period.  No visible forge marks (even inside the trigger well) , a smooth flat black finish, no tool marks anywhere, no sharp edges.  Doesn't mean much from a functional standpoint, but I still like it.  I'd suggest you try RRA or, if you don't mind a deer on your AR, perhaps CMT.

My other AR is on an LMT Defender 2000 lower, purchased this fall.  Visibly purple to the naked eye in sunlight, and some of my USGI' mags fit pretty tight in it.  Tool marks, a bit of sloppy machining here and there, some sharp edges.  For all that I still like it, though, the parts used in it are high quality.  I painted it, anyways.

I have a Colt upper with similar issues, except for the purple part.  Shoots great though.  I'd have to say the LMT and Colt products I own fall under "durable but fugly".  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been very happy with the RRA's

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]

I'd have to say the LMT and Colt products I own fall under "durable but fugly".  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Instead of messing around and getting it shipped to your FFL ,(depending where in ct you are) just drive to Joseph's gun  and he will fix you up with a stag you can hold in your hand and look at before you buy.
Around the corner at Newington Gun Exchange,they usually have Rock Rivers in stock or just down the road is Hoffmans Gun (also newington) who stocks stripped stags,possibly stripped Rock Rivers,and Rock River or Bushmaster assembled lowers.
Josephs Gun 860 223 3013    363 S. Main New Britain
Newington gun exchange 860 667 2658   210 Market Square newington
Hoffmans      860 666 8827   2585 Berlin Tpk Newington
Make a road trip out of it and visit all three!
I have several factory bushmasters and have had a Rock River factory and all I have seen are good.
The only stripped lower I have built up is a Stag and I really like it. The logo (stag head) is kinda large but it doesn't bother me as it seems to bother some.
I have handeled colts that seemed nice but I personally just can not get past haveing to deal with the different pin sizes (on the Colts) and not being able to swap out lowers and uppers from different factorys without adapters or whatever.
Common scense tells me you make your choice early on and go only with colt or go only without colts,if you are going to build or buy into the AR system you should keep all your "stuff" compatable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I'm difinitely now leaning toward a Noveske stripped lower as they are WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COOOOOLIO! I might be able to get a KAC lower, however. so I'll see. But, anyways, I got a while to make my decision since I wanna sell my Remington M700 VS first. Anyone want it? Already posted it in EE....

PS: wher would I even get a Noveske stripped lower?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well, I'm difinitely now leaning toward a Noveske stripped lower as they are WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COOOOOLIO! I might be able to get a KAC lower, however. so I'll see. But, anyways, I got a while to make my decision since I wanna sell my Remington M700 VS first. Anyone want it? Already posted it in EE....

PS: wher would I even get a Noveske stripped lower?

Directly from Noveske
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Just my .02........

My first AR platform was an M16A2 that I carried as an Infantry Rifleman / Security Forces Marine while in the USMC.  I often find myself comparing the quality of civilan AR15's to the quality that I came accustom to on the Colt M16A2.

In my opinion DPMS and Olympic are junk (owned both, and during the numerous Tactical Carbine courses I have attended over the years DPMS, Olympic, Modle 1 Sales, home brews, parts guns, and other tier III manufacturers guns tend to go tits up at a MUCH high rate than quality manufacturers).  I have owned several Eagle and Armalite AR's and none of them have impressed me.

For the last decade I have been a Bushmaster type of guy.  That being said I currently don't recommend them.  Over the last 12 years I have owned 20 to 30 Bushmasters.  What I have noticed with Bushmaster is when the demand for their guns are high, their quality really suffers.  I really noticed this pre and post Y2K and pre and post Assault Weapons Ban Sunset.  In the last 18 months I have purchased 4 Bushmasters.  All 4 had to go back to the factory for different quality control / reliability issues.  Some of them even had to back to the factory more than once.

I have seen some problems with LMT (uppers not true, etc), not many, but enough for "me" not to purchase from LMT.

Currently I recommend and use Stag Arms (aka CMT), Rock River Arms, and Colt.  I would give a definate edge to Stag (CMT) due to the price and features (mil spec buffer tube, covered firing pin on bolt carrier, etc).  I recently purchased 2 Stag guns, and the upper to lower fit is superior to any other gun I have on hand (Colt LE6920's, Rock River Arms, Bushmasters, etc)  

Here is a post I wrote on another thread on another forum in reference to Stag Arms:

Just my opinion, but during Patrol Rifle classes, SWAT Carbine classes, Carbine classes that I attend, and Tactical Carbine classes that I help instruct, I see more problems with guns that have parts made from several manufacturers.

In a recent carbine class one guy had a complete Olympic lower with a complete Colt lower and another guy that had a complete Bushmaster lower and a complete DPMS upper. Both guys had trouble with their guns. All the factory complete guns were running fine.

Here is a quote from a student who had a gun with a different upper and lower come to a Tactical Carbine class and his gun went tit's up:

"This rifle had previously been part of some sick frankenblaster, and after some bad experiences with it at a Tactical Response Carbine Course, and some sage advise by our own Jeff Carpenter, it has been restored to its core factory components. "

See the entire thread here: getoffthex.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/182106881/m/396100896

I just wrote this for a friend who live here in Colorado and had planned on getting a Colt LE6920 once he got back from Iraq:

I've got 3 Colt LE6920's and I paid around $950 each for plus $100 to have Ken Elmore at S.A.W. do his reliablity upgrade on a each gun.

CMT is Contentinal Machine and Tool (not to be confused with LMT Lewis Machine and Tool). CMT and Stag Arms are the SAME COMPANY. CMT / Stag is the sub-contractor who makes Colt's uppers, lowers, etc, and they also make the same parts for Rock River Arms.

I had heard a lot of good things about CMT / Stag and have had the chance to check out quite a few of their guns recently. I am very impressed with the fit, finish, qulaity, and features on the Stag Arms guns.

When comparing my Colt LE6920's to factory Stag Arms M4's here are the only difference I noted:

-Stag has a 1/9" twist barrel, the Colt a 1/7" (but both have the Colt M4 feed ramps). Barrel twist is a non issue as most of us shoot 55 grain to 62 grain ammo 99% of the time.

-The Stag finish was about 1 shade darker, you had to look had at both and be in direct sunlight to tell the difference.

-The Stag has a Colt mil-spec buffer tube, but has 6 positions instead of the 4 on the Colt buffer tube....Because Stag makes Colt's buffer tubes, they are the same spec....Both Vltor and LMT SOPMOD stocks will fit perfectly on the Stag tube.

-The Stag handguard only had 1 heat shiled.

-The Stag has a M16 style bolt carrier that covers the firing pin. The Colt has Colt's nuetered bolt carrier group. I prefer Stag's bolt carrier group.

If you got to www.stagarms.com they only offer 3 different carbines and 1 20" flat top AR15A3. On Stag's website the guns start off at $900 and go up. NONE of Stag's dealers (that I could find) carry COMPLETE Rifle / Carbines. BUT many of the dealers carry COMPLETE UPPERS and COMPLETE LOWERS (you just have to put the upper on the lower and close the pins).

www.eaglefirearms.net in Brighton, CO. carries the COMPLETE Carbine lower for $215 and the COMPLETE M4 upper (no carry handle) for $429. That is $644 (plus tax, shipping, and transfer fee....still under $700) for a COMPLETE M4 carbine, that is pretty much the same thing as the Colt LE6920. Excluding tax, shipping, transfer fee, you can buy 2 Stag M4's for the price of the average LE6920 (average civilian price on a Colt 6920 is $1250 to $1350).

I just bought 2 complete Stag Carbine's (minus the barrel). I'm putting Rock River Arms mid-length barrels (custom countoured for me by ADCO Firearms) on both guns.

The way I understand it is, CMT has been in buisness as a sub-contractor for well known quality AR15 manufacturers for quite some time (Colt and Rock River Arms). In 2003 CMT came out with a "retail" line of their own and named it "Stag Arms". Don't quote me on this but from what I was told some time ago, it's a father / son team. Dad runs CMT while son runs Stag Arms.

You can NOT beat the quality or the price. A COMPLETE M4 carbine for $644 ...... you can't even build a piece of shit parts gun for that.....It's a NO BRAINER.....there should be NO REASON for me to see another DMPS Upper / Colt lower, or Colt Upper / Olympic Lower, or Model 1 Sales Upper / Bushmaster Lower, or just a parts gun in general at a class ever again!!!

Good luck

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, fantastic post Jeff. Very informative.

Here's my thoughts. Most of us don't own that many ARs, maybe 2-4. This means most of us have very limited experience with multiple instances of a single or many different brands. So we'll say Joe buys a Brand X AR and has a horrible experience with it. Brand X is now junk in Joe's opinion. Joe's friend Bob buys Brand X and it runs like a top for him so to Bob, Brand X is good. With some brands, you are taking more of gamble on whether or not you're going to get a good, reliable rifle.

Me, I've been luck I guess. All of my ARs are now Frankenguns. I'd have to sit down and think about where all the parts came from. I've got PWA, Oly (pre-ban) and Ameetec lowers, Bushmaster, RRA, and Fulton Armory upper receivers, CMMG, RRA and FN bbls, RRA, Fulton Armory and Bushmaster bolts. Even with that mish mosh of parts, all the rifles have run reliably for me so far (knock on wood) thought I have to really break in one of them I (the mid length with the CMMG bbl only has about 400 rounds through it). My rifles have evolved as I have learned more about what I want out of my ARs. The only one I haven't modified is the RRA 9mm but that was built for me from parts anyway.

If I was going to do it all over again, I would follow Jeff/USMC 03's advice because I know enough about him that I know he speaks the truth based upon his extensive experience.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the Noveske lowers. Anybody have any experience with them? Fit & finish? Tolerances?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#36]
IMO - Rock River produces 9 out of 10 lowers that are very good plus to outstanding trigger (DCM) / function wise - Bushmaster is almost as solid with Armalite a very close third. The new DPMS products are also very good. Price vs performance RR leads the way followed by Bushmaster and DPMS - Armalites are similar to Colt's - nice but pricy. RR, Bushmaster, Armalite and DPMS offer very good tech support with DPMS offering the best goodies catalog followed by Bushmaster with the best thought out parts packages. In short the major players are all very good products - the smaller players like Wilson can be very very good or as some mfg's spotty depending on the parts they buy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
"In my opinion DPMS and Olympic are junk (owned both, and during the numerous Tactical Carbine courses I have attended over the years DPMS, Olympic, Modle 1 Sales, home brews, parts guns, and other tier III manufacturers guns tend to go tits up at a MUCH high rate than quality manufacturers). I have owned several Eagle and Armalite AR's and none of them have impressed me."

I haven't used a DPMS reciever, but I believe Olympic [have used] recievers are equall in quality to BM and RRA and nearly everything else out there.  

My opinions were based on recievers alone.  DPMS uses some non-spec parts I know that but have not used their reciever and would assume the reciever would be to spec but could be wrong.  I wouldn't reccomend their parts but I have heard good reports about the accuracy of their bull barrels.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I like the Noveske lowers. Anybody have any experience with them? Fit & finish? Tolerances?

The Noveske lowers are made by CMT who also makes RRA lowers along with Stag and others. They are on par with Colt in terms of quality and specs. If you can get one, you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
i would go with lmt or bushymaster as they are closest to milspec. i did not know kac will sell a lower, but if you could get one, it is nice. the socom is very nonstandard, so only get it for a racegun and not if you want a military look.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I have built on DPMS, Olympic Arms, PWA, Eagle Arms, Essential Arms, and Cavalry Arms lowers.  All work fine.

Most of the AR's I have built are on DPMS lowers, and have absolutely no issues... good finish, everything to spec, great price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#41]
There seem to be a lot of conflicting views about DPMS and Olympic lowers. Can anyone give me solid evidence at why one brand is better than another? For example, brand X is better than brand y beacuse they use type III anodizing and brand y uses type II; or brand X is better than btand Y because they use a certain machine to forge the reciever.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Aside from non LEO Colt's, any of them will work just fine under most circumstances.

Just curious...what's the difference between an LEO Colt receiver and a non-LEO Colt receiver?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Stag.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...what's the difference between an LEO Colt receiver and a non-LEO Colt receiver?

I am curious also what might be the difference in the 6920 and it's so called civilian counter part. One dealer told me that it was just the LEO Markings on it. Is that true??
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Bushmaster
Arma-Lite
KAC
LMT
Lauer Custom Weaponry
added: what was I thinking? OF COURSE COLT! Also, anyone have any experience with them custom engraved ones that u see on the EE with custom selector markings, mosel, serial, cal, and image? I was thinking of making a zombie gun!MOD. ZOMBAR-15 CAL 5.56MM Z-KILLER SER. Z001 along with an image of a zombie head! Onthly thing is theyre spensive: $299

Let me know!

We're talking plain-old semiauto recievers, right?

In that case, the 'best' one is the least expensive FORGED reciever you can find...

A forged block of aluminum is, FAPP a forged block of aluminum regardless of who's name is on it...

You should never spend more than $125 on 'A Reciever'...

Now if you're building something 'special', that's different... But for 'I want to build an AR', mega, stag, oly, LAR, etc... All the same, and no better or worse than any of the name-brand-rifle-makers...

So find whoever's the 'low price today', and go with it...

Past users have had good experience with:

Grizzly/LAR
Mega Machine
Stag Arms

Most of the above sell for $89-99

I, personally, have an Olympic forged lower... No problems, no complaints... Got it for $125 from a local dealer... Best price I could find at the time...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#46]

My first AR platform was an M16A2 that I carried as an Infantry Rifleman / Security Forces Marine while in the USMC. I often find myself comparing the quality of civilan AR15's to the quality that I came accustom to on the Colt M16A2.

Darn right.  I've been comparing AR's to the M16A2's I learned to shoot on, and usually I find them wanting.

So, my first AR?  I saw what I thought was a "good deal" on what turned out to be a frankengun.  Found out the hard way -- a few shit parts, and several assembly mistakes.  I stripped the whole thing down to to the stripped RRA lower, and rebuilt it.  With parts from CDNN (including an A2 take-off upper) and a couple other places, the entire rifle is now Colt (down to the detents and roll pins) except for the stripped RRA lower, the pistol grip, and the RRA bolt carrier.

It shoots wonderfully.

For my second AR, I had learned my lesson and stuck to a factory complete upper and lower.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Stag!!

Shouldnt even be a question, perfect fit and finish, as good as any of the other above mentioned companies for about half the price!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

New kid on the block.

These are made for me my CMT/Stag

Safe-Semi and no caliber marking for custom application.  Finished smooth as a babies butt.  

globaltactical.com/_img.upload/GTS%20LOWER%20LEFT.jpg

Denny

Oh yeah,  $115 shipped.

Looking good homes!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top