Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:24 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase a RRA Upper but cannot figure out what the major difference is between these two uppers other than price....

RRA Elite CAR A4 Upper Half
(Elite CAR A4, Midlength, Chrome Lined, 1/9 Twist, No-Ban Model, 16" Flattop Upper Assembly)

CAR A4 Upper Half
(CAR A4, Midlength, Chrome Lined, 1/9 Twist, No-Ban Model, 16" Flattop Upper Assembly)

I pulled this description from the RRA website and the eaglefirearms.net site....

Can someone identify the overall differences between these two Uppers, I can only see a price difference between the two units...

Thanks!!

-WuMagic

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing myself.  The only difference I notice is the detachable side mount sling swivel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The CAR A4 is a carbine length gas system, and Elite CAR A4 is a mid length gas system. (Get the Elite. )

Mid length is only an option on the CAR A4, where as the Elite CAR A4 is standard as a mid length, and includes RRA's tactical carry handle. Aside from that I have no clue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The midlength CAR A4 is still quite a bit cheaper than the Elite version.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The midlength CAR A4 is still quite a bit cheaper than the Elite version.

However, if you add the tactical carry handle option to the midlength CAR A4, which is standard on the Elite, the price comes out to $605.

So if you want the tactical carry handle on a middy, get the Elite CAR A4. If you have no need for the tactical carry handle, just get the CAR A4 with the mid length option.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The tac mount is an extra $70 on the Elite and isn't included.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The tac mount is an extra $70 on the Elite and isn't included.

This is what I'm talking about (the one on the right).

It is standard on the Elite, but is a $175 option on the standard CAR A4. If you add the "Tactical Detachable Carry Handle" option on to the standard CAR A4, the price comes out to $605. The Elite CAR A4 comes standard with the "Tactical Detachable Carry Handle" for $590.

So if you want the "Tactical Detachable Carry Handle" on a midlength A4, you would be better off buying it in the form of a package in the Elite CAR A4 set up, instead of getting the Standard CAR A4 with the mid length and "Tactical Detachable Carry Handle" option.

<<<
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but the question is why is the Elite A4 with no tac mount $509 and the CAR A4 midlength $449? They both appear to be the same flattop upper.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL I am glad to see that I am not the only one that was pondering this.......... I compred them side by side line for line to see if I was missing some suttle detail....

Seems like we are all missing that "detail" .....

Cheers!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I can use some help deciding on which mount to get.............

I would like to eventually add optics of some sort down the road... My main use for the rifle is target shooting at the range... 100m - 300m distances...

Any suggestions on mount / optics combinations?

Thanks!

WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah but the question is why is the Elite A4 with no tac mount $509 and the CAR A4 midlength $449? They both appear to be the same flattop upper.

I apparently missed something, where is the Elite CAR A4 listed for $509?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apparently missed something, where is the Elite CAR A4 listed for $509?

Right here -----> http://www.eaglefirearms.net/rra_upper_assy.htm
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, I was looking on RRA's site.

That is odd, and the only thing I see there would be the difference in sling mounts.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Elite comes with a Tactical Carry Handle. CAR-A4 does not have a carry handle at all.
Elite comes with a Detachable Side Sling mount. CAR-A4 does not.
Elite is midlength. CAR-A4 is carbine length.
Elite is $590. CAR-A4 is $430

Those are the differences.

edit.. oops. should've read further. Looks like all those were pointed out already. Oh well. I summed 'em up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Elite comes with a Tactical Carry Handle. CAR-A4 does not have a carry handle at all.
Elite comes with a Detachable Side Sling mount. CAR-A4 does not.
Elite is midlength. CAR-A4 is carbine length.
Elite is $590. CAR-A4 is $430

Those are the differences.

If only it were that simple. I explained all of that, but when you look at the pricing on Eagle's website, it doesn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I fired off a email to RRA to find out directly from them what the differences are........

Will post the response as soon as I get one..

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Direct from RRA:  "The "Elite A4" upper has a mid length handguard, and comes with the rail sight and side sling swivel. The Car A4 upper comes with a CAR length handguard, and does not include a sight."

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the difference between the A3 and the A4 upper? I haven't been able to figure out the difference. Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Direct from RRA:  "The "Elite A4" upper has a mid length handguard, and comes with the rail sight and side sling swivel. The Car A4 upper comes with a CAR length handguard, and does not include a sight."

-WuMagic

However it states on their website that a CAR A4 can be ordered in a Mid-length configuration as well, not just carbine length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top