Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 6:20:17 PM EDT
Is it really worth the extra coin? What does it do? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No.

Buy a Colt Bolt.

I'm not a Colt coolaide drinker either.

What it does, is it has two small extractor springs rather than the single in the standard bolt.
There are also some cuts in the lug.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
a couple of weeks ago I read about a thread and LMT bolts.  It said either an enhanced bolt or enhanced carrier was only good to function in like an m4 and 855 ammo.  Is this true?  If so what bearing does the type of ammo have to do with the functioning of a bolt.  I just don't understand that part.  But I am the ultra noob.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it really worth the extra coin? What does it do? Thanks.

I would pass and just buy a standard M16 LMT BCG or an CMT M16 BCG.

C4

Just listen to what C4 says, and go with it. Forget about the "Other Theories" because they are unfounded solutions looking for a problem. It;s just not that much :Rocket Science".

A standard LMT or CMT Bolt Carrier Group 9BCG) is MORE than what you need. For that matter, I have never had a problem with a Bushmater BCG either.

Tack
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two identical LMT m4geries in the 16in variety, both of which mostly see xm193 and q3131a and m855...that type of stuff.....
Both rifles have enhanced bolts and lmt m16 carriers.
Both run like tops, and easily have 4000rds on each rifle.
That said, next bolt/carrier I buy will be colt or cmt or regular LMT.
Mine work fine, others have problems, there is no real advantage to them in my eyes.
John F.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Not worth it.

Bolt / Bolt carrier group items are the only Colt parts in my guns. These parts are worth the extra coin.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The LMT enhanced bolt group fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The bolt also has radiused lugs with cleaning grooves and a larger OD on the cam pin hole to prevent breakage.

I feel they are a good product.  Depending on the weapon it might not work but if it works, why not have a weapon with a bolt that is less likely to break and a nickle boron finish to aid in cleaning?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I feel they are a good product.  Depending on the weapon it might not work but if it works, why not have a weapon with a bolt that is less likely to break and a nickle boron finish to aid in cleaning?

Do you have one?
I have yet to notice any advantage in cleaning.
It's as clean/dirty as any of my other bolts. And honestly, I tried to make the thing spotless after the first trip to the range, and couldn't do it.
I clean my "beater" bushy as well as my HD LMT and I the next upper I ordered after that experience had a standard bolt. And that, was a no expense spared upper built by Denny, so it wasn't like I was trying to save some cash.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

who could argue with such a well thought out and articulated opinion?

I stand in awe of you.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand in awe of you.  hr

+1
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Exactly!

don't use one in less than a 14.5 upper and your fine.  In fact the bolt itself is not the problem but the carrier.  I bought a couple when they came out and both work perfectly.  One is now a spare and the other has, I have no idea how many rounds.  I detail it every now and then but thats rare.

I had trouble with it in one of my 10.5 uppers but once I swapped the enhanced bolt into a standard colt carrier it worked fine as ever in that carbine.  That being said the whole enhanced BCG now resides in my beat up to hell LMT 14.5 upper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand in awe of you.  

+1

You want the long, drawn out, obviously-didn't-use-the-search-button version?  I had 3 of the LMT enhanced bolts and one enhanced carrier.  None of them would cycle m193 reliably.  The reason I had 3 is because a buddy had the same issues and I tried his out in my gun.  I sent one back to LMT, they said the enhanced bolt is built specifically for m855.  They sent me a new one, it still wouldn't work.  

This was using an M4 barrel.  mk262 would cylce, but who the fuck has the money to train with that all day?

I use Colt and Colt only.  No problems.   The Colt bolts work and work with all ammo.

So there you have it.  Take it for what its worth.  Spend your money on the LMT, I don't fucking care.

I'm not even sure why I'm taking the time to write this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are considering a double extractor spring bolt I would look at Leitner Wise's Advanced Combat Bolt instead of the LMT if you are firing anything other than M855. Several design improvements over the LMT.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you are considering a double extractor spring bolt I would look at Leitner Wise's Advanced Combat Bolt instead of the LMT if you are firing anything other than M855. Several design improvements over the LMT.

How many rounds have you fired with the LW bolt?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#19]
"Do you have one?
I have yet to notice any advantage in cleaning.
It's as clean/dirty as any of my other bolts. And honestly, I tried to make the thing spotless after the first trip to the range, and couldn't do it.
I clean my "beater" bushy as well as my HD LMT and I the next upper I ordered after that experience had a standard bolt. And that, was a no expense spared upper built by Denny, so it wasn't like I was trying to save some cash."

I have one.  
I noticed it was easier to scrape the carbon off the bolt.  I've never had a problem not getting one clean-- in fact I noticed a dry rag could do 80% of the job.  Due to it's color not being black it is also easier to see that it is clean-- the extractor recess doesn't collect nearly as much carbon as the stock settup.  The bolt head has a lot mroe steel which I think can only relate to less risk of breakage, radiuses generally reduce shear and are part of the design.  

I don't see the point and probably wouldn't be going out of my way to buy another- esspecially for $290, but I'm glad I bought one.   The bolt works well where I have it, and the carrier is going to hopefully make my 11.5 build work better with a suppressor.  [<run cleaner by increasing dwell time and increasing reliability by taking some pressure off the bolt and gas tube while possibly keeping some gas out of my face.]  

That bolt is in my 16inch SPR and has given nearly flawless [one malf with range mags at somewhere around 350 rounds after a cleaning] performance in training and flawless performance in real world use for about 1400rounds.    I don't obviously shoot the hll out of that rifle as it is pretty well broken in and delivering 1/2MOA and that barrel is chrome lined so I don't see that lasting past 4500rds.  

Of course you can put the D-rings in the bolt and use a drill to open the hole dimesions on a standard carrier, but I like knowing that it was meant to be that way and finished and chromed after the holes were drilled.  Is it worth the coin-- if your needs are similar to mine I don't see why not.  If you don't have a 14.5 inch or greater barrel length and don't need the carrier it probably isn't.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top