Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:39 AM EDT
Guys,

I am considering removing my current double heat shielded handguards from my M4 Carbine and replacing them with a rail system.  I would like the Hive's wisdom on which manufacturer to select.  There seems to be a about a $100.00 swing between the most and the least expensive. It appears that the following companies make a rail system that can be installed without major surgery to the upper:

Troy

Samson

MI

YHM

Those who have direct experiance with these products, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
YHM's won't be free float, but it's a decent inexpensive railed handguard system.  To get a lighter non FF 'drop in' aluminum rail you'd have to get the KAC RIS or RAS or the new Sampson 2 piece non FF.

I like my Troy MRF-R; sturdy, easy to install, and there are 'ears' on the unit to positively prevent rotation of the handguard should it take a hard hit.

I don't know if the Sampson version has the ears, but it is lighter.

MI makes a ff and a non-FF, I'm not familier with either version.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
And Troys indcludes 3 TangoDown rail panels.. Thats what got me !!  Like $40 of panels included ! So now I got, Larue, Troy and Had a Samson adn Surefire (gone to the lowest bidder !)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The two-piece rail will be needed as I really don't want to yank of the front sight post.  I would need to do so if I went with a free float rail. The feature that caught my attention on the Troy was the anti-rotation "ears"  This would be important if I choose to mount a laser on the weapon and to protect the gas tube.

Anyone else have any experiances to share?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Gary,

I own the Surefire M73 rail and MI's #20 rail.

What sold me on the Surefire was the absolute rock solid feeling I got when using a vertical grip.  Beware of two-piece rails in which the lower portion snaps in without positive attachment.  I know the KAC RAS does this, and there is a slight wobble when using the vertical grip.  

I don't have first-hand knowledge, but am suspicious of the Samson and YHM units for the same reason.   If someone could confirm or deny this. it would be appreciated.

MI's #20 rail is a thing of beauty as well.  It is a two-piece system BUT is actually a free float rail.  It secures around the barrel nut with four bolts and uses anti-rotation ears that engage the barrel nut's teeth.  This rail is rock solid too with a vertical grip.  It also aligns perfectly with the top rail of a flat top upper for that "monolithic" look.

My only complaint about MI's rail is that it doesn't have KAC panel cuts on the top and bottom rails, only the sides.

BTW, both systems sell for around $160.00

Good luck,

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my Troy MRF-C.  Probably the best bang for the buck.  Free floats, installs easy, comes with 3 Tango Down rail covers, and locks in solid with no movement.  Bottom rail does have a positive attachment.  It slided in with 3 tabs on each side and locks into a detent in the rear.  Kind of tricky to get it locked in but once it is it doesn't move.

Troy and Samson are identical, and the Surefire is pretty nice.  I wouldn't waste my money on the non-free floated YHM or MI.  The ones I've seen have been loose and wobbly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
How about a RAS II. I have one and love it. Also have a Troy for my non Aimpoint carbine.
Good rail system and all you have to do is remove the delta ring.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your feedback.  I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.

Season's Greetings,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had the Troy MRF-C since it came out on my M4.  It's been a very nice handguard and it was very easy to install.  Here's an old photo of it after I put it on:

Overall, the only complaint I have is weight, which I knew about going in.  But, since buying the Troy I have gotten very comfortable in installing other type free floating handguards and removing and replacing front sight towers.  So I have now switched to the Larue handguard to help in saving weight.  Other than the weight issue, the Troy has been great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Troy MRF-C and a Samson MRFS-C.  They are similar, but they are different.  

Samson rails have more vents, thinner vents, larger locking block, extra screw for positive locking of lower rail.  KAC cuts on ALL rail front and back.  They are lighter.  NO movement whatsoever in the lower rail.  

The newer Troys have the three Tango Down covers, but if you don't care for them, then....
For me, the TD's are overly bulky.  To each his own.  After TWO Troy rails, they both had movement in the lower M203 rail.    They are heavier, but you could work out more you girly man.

No experience with MI or YHM.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:10:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Stump,

That is an awesome looking rifle.  A quick question for you,

Is that a 14.5" M4 barrel with a Vortex attached?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stump,

That is an awesome looking rifle.  A quick question for you,

Is that a 14.5" M4 barrel with a Vortex attached?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

You would be correct, and thanks for the comment.  She's a good shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top