Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 4:45:21 AM EDT
I've spoken with multiple vendors about cutting down a chrome-lined AR-15 barrel and received several different answers.  They fall within two opposed camps:

1.  Cutting down a chrome-lined barrel will cause cracks and flaking of the chrome lining.  

2.  There are no problems with cutting down a chrome-lined barrel.

So which is it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#1]
with a good gunsmith with the right tools there will be no problems with cutting a chrome lined barrel.

look up adcofirearms.com in the industry forum, he has a really long thread with customer feedback on work he has done.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a 20" HBAR cut to 18". So far I only have 250 rnds. thru it. I am monitoring it to see if there is an accuracy dropoff. Right now it shoots sub MOA. I figure if it goes 2000 w/o a problem it will be OK. If not, I'll just put a WOA barrel on it in the future or just use it as a blaster barrel. Also, I REALLY like the 18" length. IMHO it's the ideal length.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've cut three in my living room with a Dremel tool, while watching TV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
with a good gunsmith with the right tools there will be no problems with cutting a chrome lined barrel.

This is a very curious topic. It must also include how to recrown the thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]

It must also include how to recrown the thing.

I hadn't even thought that far ahead.  Anyone have an answer they'd care to share?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top