Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
Does a military-grade chrome lined barrel suffer in accuracy vs. a similar non-lined barrel?
It seems most match barrels are not chrome lined. Is that true?
What kind of accuracy can you expect from a 20inch BM Hbar barrel with a match trigger shooting the Black Hills good stuff?

Thanks,

Jorge
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Slightly.
Yes.
Unfloated, 1-1.5" in good hands. Floated, slightly less.

No offense intended, but if you have to ask this question (and I was there once too) then you probably won't notice the difference in accuracy, but you might notice the difference in durability.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your response.
I have to ask because where I come from rpm counted more than MOA.

Jorge
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for your response.
I have to ask because where I come from rpm counted more than MOA.

Jorge

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Revelo - any difference in accuracy is not going to be enough to matter for 99% of users.

Get the chrome.  In a Kartrina-type situation you'll be glad you did.

Chrome barrels hold MOBG (minute of bad guy) just fine.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the chrome lining.  If you can shoot well enough to notice the difference, you'd be considering SS vs. chrome lined, instead.  I personally don't see any need for unlined chrome moly AR barrels.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe most properly built (conforming to specs, etc.) ARs are capable of better accuracy than the shooters using them.  With that said, I would not hesitate to buy a chromed barrel and depend on it to be more accurate than I am.

I'd like to see a real, scientific study of the accuracy vs. chrome or not issue, but I doubt it would be effective in settling the question.  This is far too much like the "Colt or not Colt" issue for facts to sway some people.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
My suggestion is chrome lined, too. After some time in AR15.com you´ll have both anyways...

MN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top