Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2005 5:52:56 AM EDT
The other day I put some Surefire batteries in my VLTOR tubes and was immediately bothered but the loud noise they made sliding back and forth in the tube.  I knew there were some homemade remedies here on the board but I could not find any so I decided to think up my own.

Here's what I did that works like a charm.  Unfortunately, it only works if you have a TangoDown Battlegrip on hand (or via another method listed below).

I was not using the two foam inserts for the TD Battlegrip so I took them out to see if they were the right diameter for the tube.  Low and behold they were.  So I measured the length needed to make up the difference in the tube (between the batteries and the cap) and cut the foam a bit longer than that to provide some resistance.  Now I have the batteries in the tube and they don't even make a bit of racket.

Now for the solution to the foam inserts.  If, by chance, you do not have a TangoDown Battlegrip, you can order a foam insert pack for $1.00 at TangoDown LLC.  I ordered a few packets in case I need to refit some for another option in the VLTOR tubes.

Also, I plan to try the foam inserts out on the TangoDown vertical grip today or tomorrow to see if they can prevent the rattle of anything in there.

Hope this helps anyone.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Another solution, which is what I did, was to buy a pack of those cheap foam ear plugs. I squished them down, put one in first, then the batteries, then another ear plug on top and put the cap on. The ear plugs then expand and keep things from rattling around.

Then you've also got a set of spare ear plugs on hand just in case.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
What Newb said.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I stick some .22 cal cleaning patches until the batteries stop moving around, these cleaning patches can come in handy sometimes
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Foam ear plugs
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another solution, which is what I did, was to buy a pack of those cheap foam ear plugs. I squished them down, put one in first, then the batteries, then another ear plug on top and put the cap on. The ear plugs then expand and keep things from rattling around.

How do you get the first one out once it expands in the bottom of the tube, or does it not take up too much space to fall right out???
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you get the first one out once it expands in the bottom of the tube, or does it not take up too much space to fall right out???

That's what my problem was.  I could not get the last one out.

I like the little TD foam inserts because they are the exact diameter of the VLTOR tube.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Since I only need two spare batteries bpr my MX6, I cut a peice of wood dowel the same length as a battery.  I put in a compreeson spring in first, the dowel and finally two batteries.  No rattles!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
earplugs here too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I stick in some white bread, tuna,chopped, onions, mayonaise, and a couple of Vlasic kosher dill pickles,
that way I can have a sandwich available in case I get hungry at the range...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ear plugs I am using are slightly smaller than the diameter of the VLTOR tube when they fully expanded, so they fall out fine for me when I open the cap. Sometimes I have to tap the back of the stock a little to get it to fall out, but I've never really had a problem.

The main reason I like them to expand is more for taking up the space front to back to keep the batteries from sliding around in there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the tuna and pickles
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer pastrami on rye, but I am in complete agreement about the pickles.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When I did the above trick with the yellow round earplugs on my first VLTOR I can't get the earplugs out w/o using a cleaning rod.

My second one I got smart and bought some of these orange hexagonal foam earplugs.  They drop right in and will fall right out.  Yet they hold the batteries quietly just as well as the yellow ones.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Earplugs here too.  I had to ask on arfcom to learn about the trick though, so don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I use two cotton balls in the bottom of each tube.  They work quite well.  I used bubble wrap for the CR123s in my Tango Down vertical grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top