Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 5:28:02 AM EDT
I see bargians on barrels or uppers from time to time with these brakes on them.  I have some experience of owning mini Y comp that could not come off fast enough  as soon as the ban ended (though my ears still ring and teeth hurt from using it )  Is the Mikulic anywhere near as bad for sound being directed back?  Or should these be avoided like the plague also?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty loud, I think they are similar to stock Armalite brakes. Moderately obnoxious. Charles.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
out of consideration for your neighbor(poor guy next to you at the range) don't use a brake. it's only .223.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
i shot the mstn brake and although its advertised as the quiet control it was still loud as hell!

everyone next to me was cursing me out, though it was quieter than other bakes it was still loud
but i have to inform everyone that i have never owned any rifle with a brake before and this was my first brake so it caught me by suprise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Aww man I hear ya about those damn mini-y comps.  I bought a Bushmaster M4gery in '01 with one of those damn things perm attached.  Oh man was that rough!  Within a couple months, that upper was back at Bushmaster and got the 16" Patrolmans Carbine barrel attached.  I ended up selling the M4gery w/ mini-y comp barrel on Ebay for the same price as the new 16" barrel

Some poor sucker though he was getting a "great comp" I'm sure.

And yes, shooting brakes/comps next to benchrest shooters will get objects THROWN at you
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
In order for any comp to be effective must have adequate baffle to direct part of the gas blast to the side =>LOUD  I have both the Miculek and JP BC brakes and they do work well, but the gas blast zone to the sides is just incredible!  Don't get a comp if you don't participate in action shooting

The problem with the Y-comp is that it directs the blast back toward the shooter (or the RO)  I hate those things when I RO'd shooters with Y-comp'd ARs.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
When I shot the mini Y I used found I also wanted

And still was thinking about using And

Thanks for the info guys, I guess there is a reason there are some bargain barrels around with welded on brakes.

FWIW, I have a Cav Comp, and it isn't too bad at all for sound.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I JUST got mine yesterday...I'll let ya'll know how loud it is in a few days.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I found my armalite break usefull for one thing and one thing only.

I was at the range one day firing my old 40cal glock before I sold the thing. The guy next to me was acting like a dick stepping back from the firing line firing his 44magnum 1 handed with the muzzle about even but a little forward of my head. Everytime he would fire he would shake his head and look over at me. I was like WTF and he said "loud isnt it." At this point I felt it was time to zero the armalite at the 25 yard range. I calmly sat down the 40 and picked up the armalite. I put only 3 rounds in the mag and fired them slowly. At the first shot the dude jumped almost dropping his 44. Second shot he was gripping his ear muffs with his gun still in his hand and the third shot he was throwing all his stuff in his range back packing up house. I remember saying "loud isnt it" but I am quite sure he didnt hear me. Moron shouldnt have been standing where he was standing anyway.

Other than that I cant think when the break has ever been usefull.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was at the range one day firing my old 40cal glock before I sold the thing. The guy next to me was acting like a dick stepping back from the firing line firing his 44magnum 1 handed with the muzzle about even but a little forward of my head. Everytime he would fire he would shake his head and look over at me. I was like WTF and he said "loud isnt it." At this point I felt it was time to zero the armalite at the 25 yard range. I calmly sat down the 40

This at Clark Brothers? Sounds like one of the yahoos I would run into occasionally when I lived in VA, except he would tell me that he didn't use a loading manual -- he just filled up the casing and seated a bullet on top. Yikes...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I found my armalite break usefull for one thing and one thing only.

I was at the range one day firing my old 40cal glock before I sold the thing. The guy next to me was acting like a dick stepping back from the firing line firing his 44magnum 1 handed with the muzzle about even but a little forward of my head. Everytime he would fire he would shake his head and look over at me. I was like WTF and he said "loud isnt it." At this point I felt it was time to zero the armalite at the 25 yard range. I calmly sat down the 40 and picked up the armalite. I put only 3 rounds in the mag and fired them slowly. At the first shot the dude jumped almost dropping his 44. Second shot he was gripping his ear muffs with his gun still in his hand and the third shot he was throwing all his stuff in his range back packing up house. I remember saying "loud isnt it" but I am quite sure he didnt hear me. Moron shouldnt have been standing where he was standing anyway.

Other than that I cant think when the break has ever been usefull.

That's how we get rid of unwanted companions on the firing line
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top