Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 2:37:25 PM EDT
How is the handuard retaining cap held in place when you have a FF tube?  I have not run one in so long I cant remember how its held but remember its not very secure and was wobbly on one FF system I saw that still had it in place.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about how the rail system mount to the barrel nut, it is very solid.

The low rail handguard retaining button is a hassle and it is not the best method.  I have a friend tap and drilled the hole and exchange the spring loaded push button for a rounded head allen screw.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the hanguard retainin cap that retains the handguards at the front of the rifle directly behind the FSB is what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
it is pinched between the step on the barrel and the front sight base.

The fit is depended on the tolorence on your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So there is a step machined in there?  Thats whay there is a lil gap between the FSB and the shoulder that I can see?  But its flush to the FSB down lower right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a samson rail (looks exactly the same as a troy to me) on my Sabre midlength and I don't have the handguard cap on mine since it came that way.  I was wondering kind of the same thing - Is it necessary to have the handguard cap in place, and how would it be held in place?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Troy and Samson rails do not touch the handguard cap.  It is only retained to make it an easy drop on install after you cut off the delta ring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this a joke?

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it is pinched between the step on the barrel and the front sight base.

+1

+2

Here's a pic of my Sabre mid-length barrel with the FSB off.  Notice the step right before the left FSB pin hole.

With thw FSB installed you can see that there is a very small space between it and the FSB.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
So if its a set machining tolerance on the barrel and the handguard cap is a specific tolerance, why is it some of the handguard caps are loose and wobbly with the handguards off and a FF system installed?  Seems they all shoul dbe held to such tight tolerances they cant wobble or come loose at all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Just a SWAG, but I'm guessing it's because of the "no standard" standard of installing the FSB.  

Seeing as the pin placement isn't consistant, even with barrels from the same manufacturer, it's very possible that this variance could also effect the fit of the handguard cap.  Maybe some are just a hair off from being good fit...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
When standard handguards are used, pressure is transmitted from the delta ring/spring assembly through the handguards. They in turn push against the handguard retaining ring & FSB giving it a rattle free fit. Alignment of the standard handguards is accomplished locating lugs on the rear of the handguards which engage the teeth of the barrel nut. The front handguard retainer is aligned by the gas tube. Once the standard handguards are removed, so is the pressure being applyed to handguard retaining ring. Thus allowing the front handguard retainer to move around if the fit between the FSB and the shoulder is too large. If you will be using a FF tube or rail assembly I would simply remove the retainer as it will aid in ventalation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When standard handguards are used, pressure is transmitted from the delta ring/spring assembly through the handguards. They in turn push against the handguard retaining ring & FSB giving it a rattle free fit. Alignment of the standard handguards is accomplished locating lugs on the rear of the handguards which engage the teeth of the barrel nut. The front handguard retainer is aligned by the gas tube. Once the standard handguards are removed, so is the pressure being applyed to handguard retaining ring. Thus allowing the front handguard retainer to move around if the fit between the FSB and the shoulder is too large. If you will be using a FF tube or rail assembly I would simply remove the retainer as it will aid in ventalation.

That's how my Sabre upper with Samson rail came from TalonArms.  Based on what's said here, I don't see any good reason to have the handguard cap with a free float.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top