Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:29:42 AM EDT
Maybe not as accurate as my LMT MRP 16" SS or Bushmaster 24" Varminter barrels, but still sub MOA at 100 yards with 75 grain TAP.

Light, accurate, and high muzzle velocity, maybe it's time the gov profile 20" chrome lined barrels made a comeback in this age of 16" and shorter stainless steel tubes.

Many thanks to Grant at G&R for this upper with the LT 13.2 & low profile gas block.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a couple more shots, this afternoon, better lighting, my own camera.

Thanks again, Grant.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice as always.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice rig and pics.

Is your barrel a standard production barrel?

What brand is it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice rig and pics.

What brand is it?

Thanks

It's an E.R. Shaw government profile 1/7 chrome lined 4150 MP tested 20" standard barrel mounted in a CMP M4 upper receiver with LaRue 13.2 and LaRue low profile gas block.

It's marked   "MOS 1-7 HC-MP"  whatever that means.

Grant put this upper together for me and I'm very very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice rig and pics.

What brand is it?

Thanks

It's an E.R. Shaw government profile 1/7 chrome lined 4150 MP tested 20" standard barrel mounted in a CMP M4 upper receiver with LaRue 13.2 and LaRue low profile gas block.

It's marked   "MOS 1-7 HC-MP"  whatever that means.

Grant put this upper together for me and I'm very very pleased with it.

Model One Sales?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks Great
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
MOS is "Military Ops Series".
Named for USGI features - like 1/7, chrome lined, 4150
A name we created that has evolved into the BCM line.

I knew I had seen that previously on your website.
This barrel is first rate all the way, many thanks and I am looking forward to your future offerings as well.

I'm one of the guys that's waiting for your flat top gov pro 14.7" upper with permanent A2 FH.
I think you said early next year on that barrel.

Will you be offering as an optional upgrade on such an upper a DD free float rail installed before the FSB is installed and the FH is pinned and welded in place?  If not, you should re-consider such an option, most consumers, even those with BRD, love one stop shopping.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Neat rifle.

I doubt the 7 inch twist will come back.  The 9 inch twist is longer lasting and is on average more accurate with practical weight bullets.  There is some shift to 7 inch for target shooters but that's for bullets that aren't really practical.  Barrel life is cut badly and bolt stresses are really high if the heavy bullets are loaded too hot.

The light barrel was designed to let a grenade launcher fit.  The heavier barrel is more stable and popular.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Neat rifle.

I doubt the 7 inch twist will come back.  The 9 inch twist is longer lasting and is on average more accurate with practical weight bullets.  There is some shift to 7 inch for target shooters but that's for bullets that aren't really practical.  Barrel life is cut badly and bolt stresses are really high if the heavy bullets are loaded too hot.
The heavier barrel is more stable and popular.

Not sure I agree.

It seems to me more shooters are interested in 1/7 barrels now than ever before, and not just because the military uses them, but because they offer the best long range accuracy with heavier weight bullets needed for such long range shooting and because they seem to be more suited to increased lethality rounds which give greater fragmentation range from the popular shorter barrels.

My most accurate barrel is a 16" SS 1/7 LMT that shoots under 1/2 MOA with entirely practical 75 grain ammo or even more practical 55 grain loads. It is under MOA even with Q3131A.
I have a 24" 1/9 barrel that gives similar accuracy with various 55 grain loads, but falls short in comparison to the 1/7 LMT when loaded with 75 grain.

The 1/9 may be longer lasting but I would expect throat erosion to be similar on both barrels.  Rebarreling an AR is both simple and relatively cheap either way.

The heavier barrel is more stable, but I don't think it's more popular, as judged by the number of M4 profile 14.5 & 16" uppers seen on these pages.  And I'm a big supporter of the 14.5" HBARs, they add only a half pound of weight under the handguards, and POI is steady hot or cold.

In reguard to this gov profile 20" CL  1/7 barrel, it has high muzzle velocity extending the frag range of 75 grain TAP ammo out past 200 yards, 50 more than a 16", is more than accurate enough for a blaster, is long lived thanks to the chrome lining, , lightweight thanks to it's profile, and, although I haven't finished breaking it in, seems to have minimal POI shift when hot, and if it continues to shoot MOA I will be absolutely delighted with it's performance.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neat rifle.

Not sure I agree.

Not sure I agree either...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neat rifle.

Not sure I agree.

Not sure I agree either...

Me neither.......see a trend

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Me neither, wait, who are we disagreeing with???
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree withh edwin. When 1-7 crome lined become available they disappear fast. I have a Colt M16A4 upper and it is great with the heavy bullets. Outside of CQB it is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top