Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:06:43 PM EDT
Any expediednce with the barrel? Want to build a carbine with light weight barrel. What kind of accuracy can you get out of this lightweight?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
These are known for quality. Mine shot well. Got hot fast. Verticle stringing occuring After - 20 rds. Not for high speed ammo usage. If low round counts are your job at hand, these are neet. Know that the Bushmaster fluted hbar is not too heavy and shoots even better, for longer. This latter is one of my favorites.  Wish they made this in a mid length, but now I am way off....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one this past spring.

As ALAN308 said, these are quality made barrels. But the lighter, thinner barrels do shift poi as they heat up. And they heat up faster than a heavier barrel.

I really haven't put mine on paper since I sighted it in at 25yds. But most of your fast action shooting will be at those shorter ranges and it'll group well enough for that. Longer ranges you'll more likely take your time, not heat your barrel so quickly and have less noticable change in poi.

It's light weight and that's what I wanted in this carbine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
i love mine!

have two.

though it does heat up faster since it is a lighter profile barrel i have had great results from the lightweight barrel.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one... heck, I even put it on an A3 upper!

Just haven't gotten it to the range yet
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The Bushie is nothing but a 1 in 9 twist version of the barrel that Colt put on it's SP1 and 2 carbines back in the '70s and early '80s.  I've had one (cut to 11.5 inches) mounted on my class 3 converted Colt SP1 XM177E2 clone since 1978.

Yes, they get hot, especially in full auto, but mine is still perking along just fine after multi thiusands of rounds.  So I say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The barrel probably does move around as it heats up, but mine will stay on a 6" steel plate out to 200 yards after multiple rapid fire mags...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The barrel probably does move around as it heats up, but mine will stay on a 6" steel plate out to 200 yards after multiple rapid fire mags...

I agree. I have two (2) and they are shooters. I watched ZBANE use one (iron sights) Saturtday and he was dinging a 12 x18 plate @ 220 yards all day.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't tell any difference between mine and my heavy barrel as far as accuracy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top