Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:36:41 PM EDT
i just ordered a SEBR rifle
have a colt carry handle

will this combo work as is?

i read somewhere that a colt carry handle does not align correctly on other brand uppers without replacing the front site with one that is .040 higher

this is an excerpt from another thread where i saw this informationreferrring to a model 6920carry handle:
"This handle will fit other brands flat top receivers IF, and I repeat IF you order the higher (.040) front sight post that Bushmaster offers in their catalog (part #9349056-M A2 Square Front Sight Post for Flat Top Colts"

is this so and why is it so

shouldnt the position of the rail on all uppers be the same (height) as well as the dimensions of the height of the handle base to the apertures??

can someone definitely explain this to me please?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It all depends on the front sight base height... If it is a factory built flat top rifle, it should already be compensated for the carry handle height with either the correct FSB or the taller front sight post already installed...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
have a colt carry handle

i read somewhere that a colt carry handle does not align correctly on other brand uppers without replacing the front site with one that is .040 higher

this is an excerpt from another thread where i saw this informationreferrring to a model 6920carry handle:
"This handle will fit other brands flat top receivers IF, and I repeat IF you order the higher (.040) front sight post that Bushmaster offers in their catalog (part #9349056-M A2 Square Front Sight Post for Flat Top Colts"

shouldnt the position of the rail on all uppers be the same (height) as well as the dimensions of the height of the handle base to the apertures??

The carry handle is higher because it has more mass to it... In order to keep the same specs as the A2 handle and be removable, there needs to be more material added to the A3 handle, which makes it taller...

THIS POST IS EDITED TO CORRECT A MAJOR MISTAKE:

I have discovered (earlier tonight) that COLT uses a carry handle that is slightly different from the ones other manufactures use... After comparing the different carry handles that I have here at home, the COLT is identical to the others except for the rear sight base... The base under the rear sight is taller than the Bushmasters that I have compared it to... So the difference is in the height of the rear sight on the COLT carry handles that makes the difference...  Even to the naked eye, the difference is noticeable... Tomorrow I'm going to mic them to exactly know the difference between the two, I'll post the specs of the two handles tomorrow...  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
have a colt carry handle

After investigating this further, I take back what I said... I pulled out one of my COLT "safe queens" and compared it to what I thought to be a COLT handle and a genuine Bushmaster handle, and there is definitely a difference. I do believe I was sold a handle that was not as advertised (the COLT)...

The handle that I'm sure is genuine COLT, taken off of the rifle that has the F marked FSB, is in fact different spec than the others ones I have... The difference is where the rear sight is mounted... The Genuine COLT RSB is taller than the other two handles...

There most definitely is a difference between the COLT handle and the Bushmaster...

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't the SEBR a Bushmaster this time around? Does it not come with it's own rear site already?

If it is a Bushmaster and you are going to use the Colt DCH, then you will have to get the taller front sight post.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I get this strait, all carry handles are the same, no matter what brand they are?  I thought for some reason that the guns with non F marked site bases had different carry handles too.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So if I get this strait, all carry handles are the same, no matter what brand they are?  I thought for some reason that the guns with non F marked site bases had different carry handles too.  

I have 2 carry handles that will zero OK on the same rifle... They originally came off of a factory built COLT and Bushmaster... I see no significant differences in either one of them...  

ETA: The rifle doesn't have F marked FSB... So I believe the FSB makes the difference...

ETA: I looked into this further, the COLT handle isnt genuine COLT, I was sold an imposter...

Read the post above for the details...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The difference between my COLT and Bushmaster carry handles are .042"... The COLT rear sight base measures .833", the Bushmaster .791"... So in order to use the COLT carry handle on a Bushmaster flat top rifle, you will need to replace the front sight post with a .040" taller post to match the height of the carry handle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top