Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 5:47:17 AM EDT
I'm looking for a true 14.5" or 16" chrome lined, M4 profile complete upper (both the M4 cut-out & relieved under the handguards).  I almost ordered a RRA Entry Tactical, but I just found out its a "Heavy Profile" barrel under the handguards...which adds about 3/4 pounds :(

So far I've only found:
LMT 14.5" 1/7 M4
LMT 16.0" 1/7 M4
Bushmaster 14.5" 1/9 M4
Bushmaster 16.0" 1/9 M4

Besides Colt, who else am I missing?  I'd really like a 1/7 barrel, but 1/8 or 1/9 would do.

Would there be a problem with ordering a regular 14.5" upper, and then silver soldering a Phantom 5C2 on myself?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

Colt, LMT, Stag Arms/ CMT and Sabre Defence are the only mfg. that makes true Gov't Mil-Spec barrels.

True M4 barrels have also M4 feedramps which are deeper and longer and extends down to the upper receiver. There are brand-X that are not real M4 feedramps, they are dremelled after assembly.

Here's pics of LMT typical M4 feedramps posted by member Randall_Rausch of AR15barrels.com & thread link.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=249333
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
CMMG
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the story with CMMG?  Who actually makes their stuff?

I'd like to buy one of the BravoCo complete 14.5" LMT uppers w/phantom, however, I'd really like a Phantom 5C2 perm attached, instead of the 4 slot.  What are the legal repercussions if I get the 14.5" and silver solder the FH on myself?  Do I need to move all lowers off-site to cover my ass until its completed?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
CMMG = dremeled ramps NOT real M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd like to buy one of the BravoCo complete 14.5" LMT uppers w/phantom, however, I'd really like a Phantom 5C2 perm attached, instead of the 4 slot.  What are the legal repercussions if I get the 14.5" and silver solder the FH on myself?  Do I need to move all lowers off-site to cover my ass until its completed?

The only legal requirements of permanently installing the Phantom by silver solder is that the solder should have a melting point temp. of IIRC 1100 - 1200 degrees.

Most of the good professional builders in this site doesn't recommend silver solder because of the high heat that could have a bad affect to the structural strength of the barrel.

They usually use the blind pin method which a hole is drilled through the FS and just a small shallow detent is made on the barrel surface.

Then it's pinned or set screwed and the exposed end on the FS is then lightly welded, the tac weld is finished smooth and touched up to match the surrounding finish.

Yes, you need to relocate all your lowers off-site to have a barrel less than 16" (SBR) legally.

Another option is you could also ask the seller if they could install the FS for you to avoid all the hassles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster makes the 14.5 chrome lined 1/7. I don't know if it has feedramps or not, but I don't think so. Its not in the catalog you have to call and ask for it. They also make the 20" A2 in 1/7.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Got my LMT 16" M4 profile upper, and I was running on a short budget...

Don't regret it one bit, if you cheap out on a component, you'll just want to kick your own arse. I'm kicking myself over getting a cheapo m-4 stock.

The vendors at EE are great, and have great prices
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
CMMG = dremeled ramps NOT real M4 ramps.

I believe that changed recently.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What's the story with CMMG?  Who actually makes their stuff?

CMMG does all of the MP testing, finishing and assembling, CBell , I believe chambers and profiles the barrel blanks, the cromeing is contracted out. But don't hold me to any of this, call them and ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top