Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 8:47:44 PM EDT
I was thinking of re-barreling an existing upper.  As best I can tell several companies make mid-length gas systems which is what I'm leaning towards.  I was curious if there was a standard for "mid-length" that all manufacturers used or if every company does something different.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about a Novoske barrel but need to run conventional handguards on it.  I was wondering if the handguards sold by Rock River Arms might fit the Noveske system.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its standardized. Well, I think there was one small hold out, but they are not a serious factor in the civilian market. Everyone uses Armalites dimensions.

Why use standard handguards on a Noveske?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone advise how much longer the handguard is on a mid-length versus a normal carbine handguard?

As far as why, to fit in an electric locking rack.  My current rifle barely fits and I'm running a Surefire M500AB handguard/light on top and a non-M-4 lower handguard to make it fit in the rack.  I've found a bigger lock but don't know its dimensions yet.  

(I know the M500AB won't fit a mid-length if I re-barrel it)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can anyone advise how much longer the handguard is on a mid-length versus a normal carbine handguard?

As far as why, to fit in an electric locking rack.  My current rifle barely fits and I'm running a Surefire M500AB handguard/light on top and a non-M-4 lower handguard to make it fit in the rack.  I've found a bigger lock but don't know its dimensions yet.  

(I know the M500AB won't fit a mid-length if I re-barrel it)

The mid-length handguards are about 2 inches longer than the carbine handguards.

The carbine is about 7" long while the mid-length is about 9" long.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys,

Thanks for all the quick answers......
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Most free-float options are thinner than M4 handguards and they'll give you better cooling plus let you get the accuracy potential from that Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG clearly didn't know the standard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CMMG clearly didn't know the standard.

Story?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Most free-float options are thinner than M4 handguards and they'll give you better cooling plus let you get the accuracy potential from that Noveske barrel.

Thanks for that tip.  I just measured my current setup and it is 2.5"x2.5".  The sticky tells me I should have several options that are smaller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top