Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 8:59:07 PM EDT
on a non-M4-ramped barrel?

(disclaimer: I didn't ask if they were needed. I didn't ask if you liked 'em. I asked if it could be done)

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant think of any reason why it couldn't be done... I would imagine a Dremel in the right hands could do it...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
if dremeled into the receiver they are not really "M4 feed rams" they are just dremeled feed ramps.(but possible to dremel nontheless) And I would not take a demel to a barrel extenstion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're good with a dremel tool I wouldn't recommend it.  Dremel tools have done more to give gunsmiths business than anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The dremal tool is an awsome tool but just dont get greedy. I took a sig 226 ST and made it totally IDPA legal with my dremal. However, if you get greedy, slip, or have it set on the wrong speed it will F&#@ you every time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
yes
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Many people on the boards have dremeled their own ramps into the extenstion.  Just go slow and easy and you'll be okay.  Just be warned that if you fuck it up then you've fucked up the rest of the barrel too.

As for the receiver, sure you can cut all the slots and ramps into it that you want, but anytime you cut through the surface you are cutting through the surface hardening.  One of two things is going to happen.  Either the nose of a bullet will never contact the receiver ramp, which brings up the question of why you needed the ramps in the first place, or the hard, pointed noses of bullets will be getting jammed against that soft aluminum and before long they'll have dug the ramp on the receiver deeper than the receiver extension and you'll have a club that is too short, too light and not balanced well enough to be useful.  If you want the feed ramps then pay the money for a receiver that is done right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto, what he said.

Dremels can be a god-send and also a damning trip through "why did I do that" hell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
chamber a few rounds and see if you really them first of all....I have me but when I watch the feeding my rounds dont even hot that area....every gun is different...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
chamber a few rounds and see if you really them first of all....I have me but when I watch the feeding my rounds dont even hot that area....every gun is different...

The preview function is your friend...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Very possible.

The aluminum is pretty soft, especially when you get past the anodizing, and the barrel extension steel isn't as hard as you might think.

I dremeled mine because M&A parts put an A2 upper with M4 ramps on a standard barrel extension. It worked fine for about 1800rds, but then was getting FTFeed every other round. 15 minutes with the dremel, and metal bit, and a flashlight, and I had "M4" ramps and it made my rifle funtional (and it has held up for about 1,500rds so far).

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top