Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 8:25:16 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to build my first mid-length upper. Right now I'm looking at RRA and Armalite barrels. From the picture on Armalite's web-site, it appears that the Armalite barrel has a slightly lighter profile than the RRA. Is this correct?

I imagine that these are both good barrels. Is there any reason to go with one over the other? Are there any other good choices for a mid-length, 1:9 chrome-lined barrel?

Thanks for your replies!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned both personally...  

The Armalite barrel is definitely a slimmer profile.  It's not as thin as the government profile, but the RRA barrel is a full, non-tapered HBAR all the way to the gas block!  It's unreasonably heavy in my opinion.  

The RRA barrels do have a chrome lined option (sometimes), but I'd definitely go with chrome lined unless $$$ was an issue.

If you go with RRA, check with ADCO as they offer the profiling option for just a little more $$.

At the time I was building mine (about three years ago), RRA and Armalite were the ONLY games in town.  I didn't keep the Armalite because it was a complete upper, and all I wanted was the barrel.  I kept the Rock River, BUT I sent it to Kurt's Kustom to have it turned and fluted.  It now weighs about the same as a medium profile barrel, but it cost me nearly $300 for the barrel and work.  I also ended up buying one from ADCO with the profiled option (ADCO started offering them about TWO WEEKS after I sent mine to KKF) with the intention of selling my heavier fluted one, but nobody else was interested in it either :)  Every time I mentioned having the two barrels, I'd get "the fluted one's nice, but how much for the ADCO barrel?"  

PERSONALLY though, if I were just now building a mid-length, I'd look long and hard at the Sabre Defense mid-length barrels.  They are already government profile, and will cost about the same as the other two barrels.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
"Unreasonably heavy" is a good way to describe the RRA barrel. I had mine turned down by ADCO. +1 for the Sabre barrel. Thats what I would use if I were looking for a midlength.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top