Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 6:26:25 PM EDT
I went to the local gunshow and saw lots of venders offering 2 piece aluminum handguards with rails. I know that YHM makes them, but the ones offered weren't YHM's for the most part. One of the venders said that his were "made by a company in Texas". So, who else makes these aluminum handguards?...you know, the ones that you can easily put on without having to take off the FSB or cut off the delta ring. Anyone know which "company in Texas" that vendor might have been referring to?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
KAC RIS, Surefire M73 are two that I know of.  Bear in mind that the Surefire and the KAC are picatinny spec, whearas the YHM is weaver spec...this matters when mounting things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Midwest Industries has a new carbine length one out.  I like the look of them much better than the YHM, I hope they make a middy version.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone tried the MI handguards? I was looking to pick up the YHMs on the cheap, but the MI look better and have the T marks too and they're at the same price point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Don't foget Armalite...I think they still have a mid-length available as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Midwest Industries has a new carbine length one out.  I like the look of them much better than the YHM, I hope they make a middy version.

Anyone have a link to Midwest Industries?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Big red MI at the top of this page in the ad banner.

OR:

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

Click the link in the ad banner first though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Middy is scheduled to be out before the end of the month.

Any idea on price?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the MI is the best value for the budget minded consumer.  It has the high quality machining of KAC (almost), but closer to the price of YHM.  I have a KAC RAS, a roommate of mine has the YHM equivilent, and the guy who's place I took in the apt has the MI.  The MI is great IMHO.  It uses a similar (if not identical) method of attachment as the YHM...the plastic (???) extensions that are insterted into the Delta ring and the end cap, rather than the extensions being an integral part of the rail system.  

I still think the KAC is nicer, but I'm not sure if it's as nice as the price difference would suggest...though I'd hesitantly mount optics on the KAC, but not the MI or YHM.  My roommate describes the YHM when he puts rail covers on it as "holding an elephant dick", not the case w/ the MI.  

As I said earlier, I think the MI is the best value on the market for people on a budget.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Middy is scheduled to be out before the end of the month.

Oh crap!   My wallet hates you!  I have a middy upper right here, with no handguards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]

KAC RIS, Surefire M73 are two that I know of. Bear in mind that the Surefire and the KAC are picatinny spec, whearas the YHM is weaver spec...this matters when mounting things.

Are you sure? There site (YHM) claims "These handguards are designed to replace your standard plastic handguards with our 4 rail picatinny design" Now that may not mean Mil-STD 1913 but mine measures pretty dam close if not. I'm not saying your wrong, but asking somebody to point out where they see them listed as Weaver. I haven't spent much time at all in this section, so I'll claim ignorance a head of time.

Nox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top