Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
I'm hoping some one can help me ID this barrel.

The only markings are SUM 556 1:8.5

1:8.5 strikes me as a unique twist rate.

The barrel is .980" then steps down to .750 in the FSP area then steps down again to .720

Any ideas?

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an Olympic Arms SUM Barrel to me.

ETA: Half way down this page.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Assuming it is, are they any good? I'm preparing for a new build and this one has been lying around for a while. The bore is in excellent shape and the last time I used it , I got good aqccuracy from 55 and 68 gr bullets. I assume 62 will work also.

Thanks!

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Minuteman...you are the man!

It's definitely an Olympic Arms Stainless Ultra Match barrel.

ULTRAMATCH BARRELS
These barrels are our most accurate barrels, and quite frankly, these are the most accurate AR-15 barrels on the market. These barrels have Broach-cut Rifling. What is that you say? Well, broaching is the method used to create the lands and grooves.  For these barrels, we use the stamping "SUM" which means Stainless Ultra Match. SUM barrels are all chambered with minimum SAAMI 223 Remington reamers. These barrels can also be identified by looking down the bore. All of our broach-cut or Ultramatch barrels have only 4 lands and 4 grooves.

I just verified it has 4 lands and grooves. Now the 64K question, is it any good?

Many thanks!

bOMBER
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read in several threads on here over time that these barrels are very accurate.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top