Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 12:14:09 AM EDT
any pics the good people of this forum can share on the parts inside their suppressors? what designs are best, most quiet? saw some the uses funnel like triangle put together... some uses circle like heavy foams or fine screens to sort of dampen the lining of the tube to absorb the sound... can't explain clearly but any good pics or suggestions are appreciated.

also, which is more quiet, the suppressed barrel til the tip or a bolt on suppressor?

for a .223
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
After looking inside an M4 QD I realized I have very little idea as far as what works and what doesn't-- [how they get that basically completely open design to work is beond my comprehension]  It seems like there are a lot of crazy baffel desings out there from Z-jet and other companies.  The most comon baffles are simple washers, conical washers (M baffles), K- baffles which you can see at tac-ord.com.

Its all fluid dynamics-- if you have a lot of knowledge and a good mechanical modeling program it looks like the possiblilities are not limited right now.  

There are books you can buy on the design and history of suppressors- but you will need to go through some red tape to do anything more than acedemic.  

This is the wrong forum for this post.  (M16 full auto is the Class III area).

There is no such thing as "absorbing sound" you can phase it out- and transform it into heat, you can extend the impulse of sound and gas pressure release etc.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Also, which is more quiet, the suppressed barrel til the tip or a bolt on suppressor for a .223?

An integral suppressor (the barrel itself is the suppressor) is more efficient than a thread-on suppressor, due to more volume.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, thanks alot people
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one other thing.  A supressor is better understood as the antithesis of a musical instrument.  You are trying to dampen noise or acoustically cancel it out as well as produce pressure differentials that will relieve overpressure from the muzzle blast.  

Basically, baffles serve the purpose of establishing pressure differential zones that cause air currents to hit the edge of the baffle and become more turbulent.  This causes a pluming effect that causes the gases to loose momentum.  The size of the baffle area also will give the gas a place to dissapate in and lose pressure.  

Further gains can be made by changing the surfaces in order to provide more dampening points.  This would be like taking the exhaust fan cover over your stove, rolling it up, and putting it in a supressor.  The series of jagged surfaces produces a dampening effect and turbidity.

What would really seem interesting to me is what would happen if you evacuate the baffle sections with a vacuum pump.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think there will be many pictures since most of the .223 suppressors are sealed....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are some images I tokk in DC when the Military was displaying their wares.
This was the US NAvy SEAL table....

Sorry, I couldnt get the pics to upload

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You may find this site interesting:  http://www.silencertests.com
There is a photo section that shows some internals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top