Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 4:59:51 AM EDT
Looking at getting a 16" Dissipator Upper for my AR. I already have an M4 and Standard length upper (w/RAS Rail) and 24" Bull Barrel Upper.  I like the 16" barrel length, but find that the rail system is really too short for mounting the things I want on it (Bipod, foregrip, Surefire, etc.)  The full-length RAS rail works well for me, but I'd rather have a 16" than 20" barrel.  The Dissiaptor seems to be the answer, but I don't know anyone who owns one to give me their comments.  I plan on using my Standard Length RAS rail on the new upper if I get it.   Pros?  Cons?  Looking at buying the Bushmaster Dissipator as it will match my Bushy lower.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.  I got the M4 profile to save some weight since I was going to add a VFG, light, rail covers etc...  Actually I just bought the barrel and put it on a CMT/Stag upper/lower.

Not sure about your handguard fitting over the gas block.  There was a thread on it but I can't remember the title or author.  You could do a search.

Good luck.

Seydou

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My first (and sadly, only) AR is a Bushmaster Dissy. Mine had the heavy barrel, A2 stock and A3 removable carry handle. i put on a hogue grip and 6 pos stock. Thing shoots great! The extra weight out front gets you back on target quickly, and it is does actually disperse the heat much better than M4 style front end.

I have shot lots of others' 16" setups, but I am really glad I got the dissy first.

-Turbok
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The carbine length gas block on your Bushy Dissy upper will need to have the corners shaved off for the RAS to fit. Or, you could mount a LT or PRI low profile gas block. I put a LT low profile gas block on my Dissy in about 10 minutes (in case I ever want to replace the standard A2 handguards with a rail system).

I too, love my Dissy. The full length handguards allow a much wider range of holds and there's pretty much zero chance the barrel will burn you. The increased sight radius is also nice, as I am trying to better my shooting with irons. The weight of the gun is carried forward if you mount a collapsible stock, so you'll need to modify your shooting style a bit if you're coming from a standard carbine setup.

I've had a standard A2, an M4gery, and my Dissy, and the Dissy is the most fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't do this without all the wonderful rails

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The YHM two piece rail system will fit over the factory Bushmaster gas block. The RAS will fit after some minor fitting. I understand the ARMS SIR will fit over the stock block too.

The other option is to get a twenty inch barrel and have it cut down. This will require work on the gas port, but will allow you to use any set of handguards, and reduce the weight as well. The reduction is weight will be important as any rifle, and all dissy's, tend to get nose heavy once you add rails and accessories.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
After handling a Bushmaster M4 Dissy, a Bushmaster HBAR Dissy and my chopped 20" Dissergy, the chopped 20" barrel is truly the only way to go.  It balances better, is lighter and handles better.  The chop process is a piece of cake.

Oh, and every RAS will fit on it without issue, since they are designed to fit on rifle length barrels.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Mongo, I bet you probably have told this umpteen times, but what profile barrel was that ? And did you have to modify the gas port?  

I have a post ban 20" Hbar I am tempted to have that done to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mongo, I bet you probably have told this umpteen times, but what profile barrel was that ? And did you have to modify the gas port?  

I have a post ban 20" Hbar I am tempted to have that done to.

It started life as a 20" gov't profile M16 barrel.  I wanted a Dissy with a 1/7 twist barrel, so I chopped 3 & 3/4" off of it, tweaked the gas port open to 0.100" and it runs as good as anything else out there with a wide variety of ammo.  This would be one of my favorite setups right now.  I'd like to have one with a LaRue tube and a fixed front sight, though.

Here's a pic of an identical barrel project I did, but a little more plain:

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
OWN A BM DISSIPATOR AND HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS.  NEVER MALFUNCTIONED IN THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS, MOST IN 3-GUN COMP.  I LIKE THE VERSITILITY OF HAVING AN EOTECH AND IF IT GOES DOWN (BATTERIES), I HAVE GGG MAD REAR AND I GET FULL SIGHT RADIUS FOR LONGER SHOTS, UNLIKE M4-TYPE 16s.

JUST MY $.02
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my dissy's but I don't dress them up to much:
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I had myDISSY  re-profiled by KKF to a government profile because I found it too heavy.  Now, it points great.  I have about 3.2k rounds through her with no malfuncitons.  Only problems with have been related to bad mags.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a fluted HBAR dissy, with a #59 SIR on it. For offhand work, it's very front heavy, but otherwise works great. I have an Aimpoint on it currently, but will get an ACOG when funds permit. Either a TA-31F or TA-31RCO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 20 incher and a mid length dissy.  Dissy's are real nice for all of the reasons already mentioned but the best thing about them is you don't tend to burn the hell out of yourself when the barrel gets hot.  I had a carbine gas system with a pigtail and I can totally recommend that or going with a midlength.  Also, with a grinder, you can make a gas block fit under anything, paint it black with stove paint and don't worry what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I built my 4th Dissy earlier this year with a DPMS dissy barrel.  It's 1/9 CM HBAR.  The DPMS is unique in that it's the only factory offering with a RIFLE length gas system.  It recoils much smoother than my BM light weights and the gas port is already figured out, so it even cycles Wolf with no problems.

I just took the barrel off of the upper and sent it off to be re profiled to a government profile under the hg, so that it's much lighter and swings better.

I wouldn't give up my Dissys for anything.  I like 'em a lot and the last 3 day carbine course I shot my BM light weight was definately the ticket!

Tom  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/4628Stealthy_s_SBR-med.JPG

Getting my use out of this picture! I used to have it configured with a standard front sight and handguards. It's also a DPMS, and the barrel under the handguards is a piece of pipe! I decided I wanted to do something different to use the profile better and got my Recce copy. I like the Dissy idea a lot, but most of them seem to be quite heavy once you get used to a Car-15/M4 profile.

Personally, with the Dissy configuration I don't see the need for the fullsize 20 inch barrel models, and I would feel most of my needs met if I had a Recce Dissy and a 11.5 shorty...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the point of a dissipator configuration if most are running optics?  It seems to me, the whole point was to get a full length sight radius out of a minimum length barrel.  In fact, its for that very reason that I just sold my 16" HBAR flattop and bought an A2 dissipator.  If you planned on using optics from day one, now you are just carrying around extra parts (FSB and independent gas block).  Granted, these all look a lot cooler then my mostly stock setup.   Please share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What's the point of a dissipator configuration if most are running optics?  It seems to me, the whole point was to get a full length sight radius out of a minimum length barrel.  In fact, its for that very reason that I just sold my 16" HBAR flattop and bought an A2 dissipator.  If you planned on using optics from day one, now you are just carrying around extra parts (FSB and independent gas block).  Granted, these all look a lot cooler then my mostly stock setup.   Please share your thoughts.

There are days when I want to run my CQ/T, and there are days when I want to shoot offhand using iron sights. With a QD mount for the CQ/T, it's pretty easy to switch between the two. With the irons up, the extended sight radius is very nice. The full length handguard also allows me to adjust my grip to match the shooting task at hand, and no burns!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a fluted HBAR dissy, with a #59 SIR on it. For offhand work, it's very front heavy, but otherwise works great. I have an Aimpoint on it currently, but will get an ACOG when funds permit. Either a TA-31F or TA-31RCO.
home.comcast.net/~9diesel/rifle.jpg

Your setup would rock with a GG&G tactical bipod, especially since the SIR is completely freefloating. I use the GG&G on my Dissy with the standard handguards and a short adapter rail. In fact, that's the only way my wife will shoot my Dissy - she tried it freehand once and did not enjoy the weight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]
For me, there are many reasons where the Dissy configuration still has advantages even though an optic is used. The full length handguards protect me from a hot barrel should I sling for a transition, but it also protects the barrel from getting banged around on corners or whatever. The handguards let me rest on my pack with more surface area to provide better stability and nothing touches the barrel. A bipod attaches in a better location in my opinion. I also have sights on my Dissy that I run an optic on, so I have the best of both worlds. Mine is a DPMSmbarrel, so it does not have the gas block in the carbine position and is instead in the rifle postion with an enlarged gas port to compensate. To date there has been one malfunction in a training class that was ammunition related, and no other malfunctions attributed to the weapon itself. I guess the full legnth handguards of the dissy also allows for attachment of accessories further towards the muzzle, even with standard handguards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top