Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 6:04:03 PM EDT
I got an email yesterday saying that the recent run of Giffman barrels had 'chamber issues' and were sold off at a reduced price at ADCO for that reason.  I have seen NOTHING posted to verify this claim and am anxious to proceed with my build.

I think I smell but want to be sure.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither of mine have had chamber issues. And one's had a BUNCH of rounds through it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I seriously doubt that ADCO would sell something that had issues like that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got an email yesterday saying that the recent run of Giffman barrels had 'chamber issues' and were sold off at a reduced price at ADCO for that reason.  I have seen NOTHING posted to verify this claim and am anxious to proceed with my build.

I think I smell but want to be sure.  Thanks!

did you contact ADCO? i have no reason to BS you. like i said, some had success with it but, there was a thread here where ADCO addressed discounting this barrell. i'm not the only one who read it, saw it at a reduced price on there website and i'm not the only one who ended up with a bad Giffman barrell.
unless i'm taking crazy pills!!
just trying to give you a little heads up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
no problem with mine a bunch of rounds down range and zero problems
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine was nearly unusable.  It wouldn't chamber about 20% of the rounds I fed it and if it did chamber and fire, about 20% of those had their case rims ripped off and I was left to tapping the spent case out with a cleaning rod.

I "unscientifically" mapped my chamber, using machinists dye and a new round, and it showed concentric rings all the way down the chamber and matching high polished spots on the brass.  My guess was the chamber was rough machined and chromed over.  Just my SWAG, though.

There is a good half dozen to a dozen cases of problems with the barrel.  The issues are not BS.  For a run of 100 barrels, that's about a 5-10% iffy/failure rate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
four pages discussing the barrel.

adco cleary stated that it was hit & miss and he didnt want anything to do with it, also think he sold the barrels dirt cheap along with a warning/disclaimer to anyone buying them. so it was not like he was hiding anything or false advertising.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that ADCO handled their end very responsibly.

Here is another thread about the barrels.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=246972
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, everyone, for your input!  I got this barrel a while ago and kept tabs on people's progress (handguard issues, etc) but hadn't heard anything regarding the status of chambers.  

What is a good way to check on the status of my barrel's chamber?

I was considering doing a build with this barrel this winter but now it looks like I'll put the money toward an LMT MRP upper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Shoot it, with alot of different ammo.  If it works, you chamber is good.  If not, polish the chamber as described in some of the threads and go again.  If it don't work then, grow tomatos with it.

I need to clarify one thing.  My barrel had issue with reloaded ammo, both mine and bigbore's reloads.  It also showed intermittent issue with some heavy factory ammo, match type stuff.  It is very easy and possible that my reloads were at fault, but I have 5-8 other ARs that eat these reloads all day long without issue, and three of them have new, tight match chambers (Lilja, WOA SPR and Bushmaster DCM).  FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot it, with alot of different ammo.  If it works, you chamber is good.  If not, polish the chamber as described in some of the threads and go again.  If it don't work then, grow tomatos with it.

I need to clarify one thing.  My barrel had issue with reloaded ammo, both mine and bigbore's reloads.  It also showed intermittent issue with some heavy factory ammo, match type stuff.  It is very easy and possible that my reloads were at fault, but I have 5-8 other ARs that eat these reloads all day long without issue, and three of them have new, tight match chambers (Lilja, WOA SPR and Bushmaster DCM).  FWIW.

+1
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on how well ADCO handled the issue, great company.
lake city xm193 in mine with a failure rate of 40%.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine went back to Giff, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
My only issue with my barrel was getting the PRI folding FSB to line up correctly with a DD 12.0 FSPM I was using.  I had a couple issues relating to the gas port alignment but most of the issues were my my fault in building it.  It runs pretty good now but I need more rounds through it to be sure...

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
40% failure rate is certainly unacceptable.  Something is wrong.  If you have eliminated all other factors and you feel the barrel is at fault, please instead of just assuming that we don't care, email or call us.  To date, no one has returned a defective barrel.

nobody made remarks about CMMG, ADCO or Giffman not caring. i recieved excellent treatment by steve at ADCO when dealing with this matter. my upper was returned to them after other factors were considered. like Giffman posted, maybe it just needed the chamber polished but this was not suggested or thought of at the time. Hopefully this thread helps those who may have this issue in the future troubleshoot it and move on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I got one of these for a build I am doing, I figure if it works than great if not, than it's too expensive.  But reading through some of the info, I was wondering if one of the slightly longer gas tubes and shims were for sale anywhere?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, there were some bad berrels, but there were many more good ones as far as FF functionality goes.  I have one & it's on my favorite rifle (has about 900-1000rds through it now (55gr, 62g2, and some 75gr) , no FTE/FTF attributable to the barrel (1-3 dud xm193 rds for FTFs, that's all).  As for Giff, well, he's a class act - Steve too.  Sometimes bad things happen to good people.  Maybe it's because when they do, those folks get to see what their friends and associates are really made of.

Hell, it's past my bedtime & I'm babbling...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you "polish" the chamber (making it smoother) with out removing the chrome (since it's only lined) in the process
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes, there were some bad berrels, but there were many more good ones as far as FF functionality goes.  I have one & it's on my favorite rifle (has about 900-1000rds through it now (55gr, 62g2, and some 75gr) , no FTE/FTF attributable to the barrel (1-3 dud xm193 rds for FTFs, that's all).  As for Giff, well, he's a class act - Steve too.  Sometimes bad things happen to good people.  Maybe it's because when they do, those folks get to see what their friends and associates are really made of.

Hell, it's past my bedtime & I'm babbling...

+1.  Mine initially had some ejection issues; like Mongo, mine would get cases stuck and the extractor (with Specialized Armament heavy extractor spring) would rip the rims off. After about 3-400 rounds, my problems seem to have stopped. One of my favorite rifles.

I read through this entire thread. There seems to be lots of banter from people who:

1) Don't own the barrel; or
2) haven't shot theirs yet!

Imagine if each post cost $.10 each. There would FAR less bs to read through!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top