Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 7:41:28 PM EDT
I served in the Marine Corps Reserve fom 1991-1995.  In boot camp, we fired the M-16A2 to 500 yards, at a man-sized target (6' silhouette), 10 rounds, prone, in 10 minutes, with iron sights, as part of rifle qual.  This was the easiest part of qualifying to me, they were gravy shots, even though the silhouette actually appears narrower than the front sight post at that range.  But, to get to the point...

I'm looking for an AR-15 style rifle that can match that accuracy, with open sights.  No scopes, electronic sights, or lasers.  I realize a lot of that accuracy depends on me, and it's been a few years now, but if you all could recomend a starting point with the various manufacturers, I would appreciate it.  I'm not looking to spend $1,000, more like $750 tops.  If I'm going to spend over $1,000, I'd have to get an M1A, or other .308 (which is in my plans, one day).

What confuses me most at this point is rifling twist and bullet weight.  I know the M-16A2 utilizes the 1:7 twist, but it seems the 1:9 twist is more common in the AR-15.  Can the 1:9 twist barrels make the accuracy I'm after?  Will it require a certain bullet weight?  Which twist rate would be better suited to fire many weights of ammo with the least effect on accuracy?  I would like a chrome lined barrel - are most AR-15 barrels chrome lined?

I've looked around this site a bit, and I like the level of professionalism I see here.  Looks like a first rate website.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with what our military use, unless you are wanting to shoot competition...

My recommendations, if you are NOT shooting competition:

Buy a Bushmaster, COLT, Armalite or Rock River Arms brand AR-15 carbine or rifle... All are good choices...

Stick with the 1:7 twist government profile chrome lined barrel, It works real well with the heavy bullets (62 - 80 grain) for those long range shots...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have no problem getting a stock A2 govt profile rifle just like you used years ago. I suggest getting a lower locally, and then ordering an upper off the Equipment Exchange.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top