Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 1:13:06 PM EDT
It seems odd to me that I never see 'homemade' flat-tops here. I know that for a year or two before A3's became widely available, there were a couple of companies that would shave off a carry handle and attach a rail to an A2 upper.

Who has pics of one of these?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Duncan Long's "The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook" has a few photos of flat tops milled from fixed carry handle uppers. There are photos of the Colt ACR on pages 38, 48, and 49. Page 103 shows a photo of a pair converted by Insight Systems. SGW has offerings pictured on pages 107, 108, and 110. Some converted by Allan Zitta are pictured on pages 112 and 113. There is a close-up photo of unknown origin on page 190 as well.

But, alas, I have no way to scan the above photos.

Maybe someone else here has the same book and has access to a flatbed scanner.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Dangit, I need to get down the the Rock Island Arsenal museum.

They have 1 or 2 M16's (in the one bound book, it said one was a commercial Colt SP1) that were fitted with early rails on top.

They also had the prototype M16A2's with the shell deflector glued to the side of the upper.....and a gold plated M60

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top