Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 2:09:24 PM EDT
I've been thinking about one of these for my M4gery...the regular collapsible that's one there now is just a cheepie one, and the damn thing rips my beard hairs out in groups of 2 or 3...VERY painful

I could just slap an A2 on there, but for whatever reason, I'm thinking of something a little more "tactical"...the Socom would fit that bill.  

I can get dealer pricing at Midway, so this stock would be 1/2 the cost of a Magpul, which is something else I was considering.  

I've got a lot of other projects and limited $$, so the Magpul is out of the picture for now.  Thanks!

I like the looks of the Socom, and I like the other 2 ACE stocks I have.  So, has anyone used one of these, and what are your likes/dislikes?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's kind of ugly, but looks aside, it trades the storage compartment for some LOP adjustability.  I'd get an LMT Crane or Vltor, improved cheekweld and storage for batteries, not to mention adjustable LOP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not ugly, it looks like the handlebars of a kid's bicycle or of certain children's aluminum baseball bats.  I can't stand them myself.  They also remind me of third world weapons when you consider all of them that have to rely on cheap welded or bent pipe.  I don't think they look right on ARs...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two of them and like them just fine. Lock up sturdy and give ME a decent cheekweld. No battery powered optics on my rifles, so battery storage is moot for me. Precise adjustment is all I'm really interested in, and these fit me well.

One complaint is that gusset that locks the tube in place has a reversable sling lug on it. On one side it interferes with the forward assist and the other side, the charging handle. Both are still accessable, just have to be careful.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one, it's great!!  Rock solid and an excellent cheek weld when using a Trijicon or Aimpoint..
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Magpul, Ultor, 6 pos, 4 pos, and an ACE SOCOM.  I like the ACE the best.  It really feels solid.  However, I am just a range ninja.  I do not know if it is suitable for professional stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two Ace M4 SOCOM stocks and like them very much.  I had a problem with the one on my .458 SOCOM when I did not lock it down and it sheard the cone-shaped lock and collapsed.  I ended up with it hanging from my beard and it was stuck as tight as a tick.  I won't rehash that painful story.  On the 5.56 it has never slipped or given me any trouble at all and ACE gives customer service second to none.  Since Ace replaced the locking cones and I locked the stock in position on the .458 SOCOM it has not given me any more trouble nor pulled any more beard hairs.
Standard CAR and M4 stocks rip out hair like crazy and I did not give the VLTOR Clubfoot a chance.  I put electrical tape over the "teeth" from the get-go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
i have had two that the cone/cam for adjustments were damaged/sheared like bigbore's

one on a beowulf and the other on 5.56/.223

also had problems with the tensioning/play screws at the top of the stock coming loose all the time and gouging the buffer tube.

also the only single point sling you can install has to have the web attatchment point. no hk hooks.

imo worst "collapsable" stock there is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have two Ace M4 SOCOM stocks and like them very much.  I had a problem with the one on my .458 SOCOM when I did not lock it down and it sheard the cone-shaped lock and collapsed.  I ended up with it hanging from my beard and it was stuck as tight as a tick.  I won't rehash that painful story.  On the 5.56 it has never slipped or given me any trouble at all and ACE gives customer service second to none.  Since Ace replaced the locking cones and I locked the stock in position on the .458 SOCOM it has not given me any more trouble nor pulled any more beard hairs.
Standard CAR and M4 stocks rip out hair like crazy and I did not give the VLTOR Clubfoot a chance.  I put electrical tape over the "teeth" from the get-go.

Big Bore, I have a clubfoot, and believe it or not, I've never lost any facial hair to it lol...but it's not collapsible, if that makes any difference.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
that does make a difference.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad I'm not the only guy with a beard who has problems lol.  Someone needs to take into consideration us manly hirsute men when they design these stocks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top