Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 3:43:08 AM EDT
I know it will be lighter, but does it hurt accuracy? I think M16 went to heavier barrel to improve accuracy, but M4 has a lighter barrel under the handguard. Is goverment profile barrel desirable in general? I don't really care much about the weight, and I don't have a gernade launcher  to hang! Stag Arms uppers only offer goverment profile barrels I think. Thanks.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you are giving up any practical accuracy with a light barrel at carbine ranges. I prefer the I Bushmaster Superlight barrel, or any A1 style barrel. I don't see any advantage to the extra weight on the M4 barrel, so why carry it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel length doesn't really affects accuracy that much. Accuracy depends on the barrel quality like in the difference in match and regular barrels. I also have a 20" rifle but I use my carbine more.

I have a M4 16-inch barrel now and I used to have a lightweight carbine. I prefer my old lightweight for carrying it around for a long time, but the M4 profile is not too bad.

I'm planning on getting the 16" match heavy barrel and a lightweight after that, that's BRD, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
My govt profile barrel did 1" groups with match ammo.  I think thats great accuracy for a miitary type barrel.  HBAR is not going to be more accurate just becuse its an HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
When the two barrels are cool then there is probably no accuracy difference.  After many rounds go down the pipe and the barrel starts to heat up, point of impact will usually shift more with a govt profile barrel since it heats up faster.  HBAR will keep you accurate LONGER and that's really its only advantage.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
profiled barrels > hbar's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top