Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 11:41:39 PM EDT
Looking to buy and install a match-grade heavy barrel for Service Rifle competition.  Would like feedback on either Douglas (around $300) or Krieger (around $400).
Will stainless or chome-moly affect accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The jury is out on the stainless versus chrome-moly barrel thing. Some feel that a chrome-moly barrel is more accurate because it has better harmonics blah, blah. Unless you are an exceptional rifle shot looking for that slight increase in accuracy I don't think it makes that much of a dif for the average shooter. Having said that I do prefer a carbon steel barrel with a chromed bore over chrome-moly. But, I'm a nut.

Whichever barrel you get follow the recommended break-in proceedure. This has been covered elsewhere on arfcom.

I'd go with the Krieger since I'm not to familiar with the Douglas although I hear they make nice barrels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are good choices, you would be happy with either.

As far as stainless and accuracy - look to the BR crowd and what thy shoot (99% stainless).  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 AR uppers with Krieger barrels. I have also owned Douglas. The Kriegers are a lot more accurate with any given load than the Douglas in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looking to buy and install a match-grade heavy barrel for Service Rifle competition.  Would like feedback on either Douglas (around $300) or Krieger (around $400).

What's your experience with service rifle competition?  If you're just starting I would suggest a White Oak Wilson barrel:  http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

The barrel alone is just under $200 and will take you to Master; spend the rest on practice amm or match entry fees.

If you're already a up there and going for High Master buy which ever barrel makes you feel better.  Douglas has a better reputation for .30 barrels.  Look into Pac-Nor too.  Call or email Jeff or John at White Oak for help deciding.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]
While Krieger has always been my favorite custom barrel, according to my gunsmith, due to having a hard time getting the Kriegers lately he has been substituting them with PacNor barrels.

While more expensive than the Kriegers they have been proving to be an excellent replacement choice, according to someone building and shooting them regularly.

I know several HP shooter's that also get excellent results with PacNor barrels.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your experience with service rifle competition?  If you're just starting I would suggest a White Oak Wilson barrel:  http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

The barrel alone is just under $200 and will take you to Master; spend the rest on practice amm or match entry fees.

If you're already a up there and going for High Master buy which ever barrel makes you feel better.  Douglas has a better reputation for .30 barrels.  Look into Pac-Nor too.  Call or email Jeff or John at White Oak for help deciding.

What he said.

As a fellow highpower competitor, do NOT get caught up in trying to buy points. The 10 ring on all highpower targets is 2 MOA. Just about any barrel will shoot that, but it is the nut behind the trigger that is the BIGGEST part in highpower.

$300 for a Douglas sounds a bit high. I agree though that a Wilson will put you in the winners circle if you do your part. Save some money and put it towards the other necessary items, coat, spotting scope, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I really appreciate all the feedback.

I haven't shot High Power in about 13 years, and back then it was with my DCM M1.  I really think that Warren-hpf made a very good point.  For all intents and purposes, I am just starting out, so I think I'll go with the WOA barrel, and use the money saved for load development, match fees etc.

Again, thank you all for the input.

Now if I could just find out the secret of the AMU's vaunted V8 load!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that thing service rifle legal???
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 24 inch Krieger that I shoot in the T/R Fclass matches. Here is my 600 yard comp load.

With this gun

Krieger, Pac-Nor and Lilja are what you see the most in the winners circle.  Look at LR and BR records. I absolutely love my Krieger. It is a freakin tack driver!  They have AWESOME service. There can be a wait, but I let them chamber it and everything. They tend to keep some stock for themselves I believe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought this was trying to address a question about service rifles? I have buddies that use Kriegers and Douglases.  Accuracy is really dependent on the shooter.  Have it assembled by White Oak or Compass Lake and the difference is the shooter.  Douglas and Krieger are established brands.  I would  go with either in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a 24 inch Krieger that I shoot in the T/R Fclass matches. Here is my 600 yard comp load.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/toxicar/groups006.jpg

With this gun
img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/toxicar/AR018.jpg

Krieger, Pac-Nor and Lilja are what you see the most in the winners circle.  Look at LR and BR records. I absolutely love my Krieger. It is a freakin tack driver!  They have AWESOME service. There can be a wait, but I let them chamber it and everything. They tend to keep some stock for themselves I believe.

damn, thats better than my 100 yards groups
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope Krieger!  Cause I just sent my down payment into John @ WOP yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
10 SHOT GROUP - THAT'S SOME SERIOUSLY GOOD SHOOTING.

HOW DOES THE FLAT SURFACE ATTACH TO THE HANDGUARD? DO YOU FIND IT HELPS THE GUN  RIDE THE FRONT BAG BETTER?

WES

It attatches to the hole where the sling swivel was mounted. Yes it helps it ride flat and stable.
Yes I realize, we are talking service rifle but I was just showing what a Krieger can do. I have shot side by side with one or two other service rifle Krieger AR's and they shot just as good.

Renn, I agree that once you have a good barrel, the Shooter does the deed. My 10 year old son shot a 194 4x his first trip to Butner, Allthough Pete Hodges and kent Reeves did all the "wind"reading for him at 600!! I  want to get into Service Rifle soon and for me, knowing what I can accomplish with Kriegers Barrels from the bench just removes a BIG slice of the mental stuff from my game. When I build a service rifle I will bench it for load development and then I will feel more comfortable at the range and will know that it is me and NOT the gun. NOt pimping Krieger because I have never owned  the other brands. It is just what I settled on . I do want to try a Pac-Nor or a Lilja.

But at the same time, I want the BIGGEST competitive advantage I can get. A gun shooting 1 moa has a 6 inch possible spread at 600. That is the X ring! A .5MOA gets 3 inches... I will do the extra work and development for the 3 inches, God knows I need all the help I can get! Besides, it is the fun in the chase.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top