Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 6:22:35 PM EDT
Any one have any experience with Colts sporter model. Is it a 5/8" barrel. I'm wondering if it has the same barrel whip as Rugers mini-14 causing accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't even compare a Colt SP1 with a Mini-14.

I used to have a SP1 and it was my first AR back in '71.

It's pretty accurate grouping about 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yds.

Every once in a while I could make a 1 inch three shot group in the standing shooting position.

I wish I could have kept it but I traded it in with a Colt Sporter 2 in the mid 80s.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My dept has several original SP1 Colts and the accuracy is superb. I wouldn't mind finding an SP1 upper and converting it over to a free-float tube and see if it gets better.

Some guys really like their Mini14s. I think their barrels are shit personally. If you can get a good deal on a used mini get one of the aftermarket barrels for them to find true happiness.

SP1 barrels GOOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
An SP1 upper is almost EXACTLY the same as the first M16 rifles.
The POI will vary as the barrel heats up in extended firing , or if you put pressure on the
barrel.

( this is true with almost ANY rifle)

That said however , they do not "whip" when fired.

Due to the method of attachment , Barrel Harmonics with an AR15 are minimal.
( which is why adding a freefloat handguard usually makes them super accurate )

Use of 55 gr. ammo is advisable due to the 1/12 rifling twist of course.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys, I don't know how to make it hot but here's a link that seems like a good deal to me. Take notice that this price is with-out carrier group.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arsp1upnewco.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Do a search for "CDNN" and you will find a few threads on the Colt M16A1 uppers offered.  I bought one and think it's awesome!  There are some really great pics of finished rifles.  JohnRippert built an absolutely kick ass one (as did many others).

Shal1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top