Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 6:17:51 PM EDT
Where can someone buy a KAC low pro gas block?  WHat do they run?  Are they designed to have a taper pin installed in a certain spot, is it drilled by the installer?  Is one required?  Anyone who can give me ANY info on the KAC gas block like weight etc would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one sitting right here that I took off of my 16" LMT upper w/KAC MRE - returned it to the normal FSB.  I was able to do this with a few turns of an allen key, no taper pins.  The only pin I tapped out was for the gas tube.

Unfortunately, I don't have any calipers or anything to take exact measurements (or digicam for pics).

I can tell you that it weights roughly 1.5 oz according to my cheap non-digital postage scale.  It's roughly 1" in length, and uses two set screws (vertical, underneath the block) that secure it in place.  It fits snuggly around my LMT 16" chrome-lined barrel, so I'm assuming it is a "standard" size block - sorry for the non-technical description.  The gas tube hole is drilled across the entire length of the block, so that when a tube is installed, the front of the tube is flush with the front of block (visible).  There is very little metal surrounding the gas tube.  When they say it's low-pro, they mean it - there's very little "meat" surrounding the barrel when installed.

I noticed you purchased a carbon fiber barrel, and was considering giving it the gas-piston treatment.  I was following your threads with interest, as I was also considering doing this, with the same gas block.  The only concern I have with using this block is that there may not be enough metal around the gas tube area to support the gas-piston assembly, esp. if the hole needs to be enlargened for the assembly to fit.  Of course, the only way to tell is if I can get precise measurements...  

If you require any more detailed info, please let me know.  I don't have immediate access to "proper" tools or a camera, but I think I may be able to twist some arms and get some more meaningful numbers and a few pics.

Edit:  I bought the block from Wes at MSTN a while ago.  Don't know if he still has them in stock though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top