Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 4:28:14 PM EDT
Are RRA midlength barrels HBAR, or thin under handguards?

Anyone have a source for government or superlight profile barrels with middy gas system?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA are HB under the HG. I went with CavArms, who use Sabre govt profile middy barrels IIRC.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Satisfied with your purchase?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, its OK. VERY reliable. My only issue is a slight shift in point-of-impact as the gun heats up with firing (maybe 4 inches straight up at 100yds, same group size). Initially, I suspected the barrel was bending (not free-floated), but CavArms were very good and replaced the entire upper, yet the problem persists. Now I wonder if there is something else going on, but have not have the time to troubleshoot further. I understand that shot dispersion can increase with barrel temperature on lightweights or govt profiles, but a shift in the same direction and with no opening of the groups is bizarre. If this was a gun I was going to shoot a lot in 3-gun competition, I would go HB. However, in my case, I have other guns for such sustained accuracy applications... I built this rifle purely as a lightweight SHTF rifle, and for me the performance of this platform is acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
ADCO contours the RRA midlength barrel www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=284419
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Sabre Defence middy barrel that was a special run through Talon Arms. 1/7 twist, M4-ramps, F-FSB, Gov't profile.

I REALLY like it and wish I had the money to build another one immediately.

I haven't had the verticle stringing problems mentioned above, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, its OK. VERY reliable. My only issue is a slight shift in point-of-impact as the gun heats up with firing (maybe 4 inches straight up at 100yds, same group size). Initially, I suspected the barrel was bending (not free-floated), but CavArms were very good and replaced the entire upper, yet the problem persists. Now I wonder if there is something else going on, but have not have the time to troubleshoot further. I understand that shot dispersion can increase with barrel temperature on lightweights or govt profiles, but a shift in the same direction and with no opening of the groups is bizarre. If this was a gun I was going to shoot a lot in 3-gun competition, I would go HB. However, in my case, I have other guns for such sustained accuracy applications... I built this rifle purely as a lightweight SHTF rifle, and for me the performance of this platform is acceptable.

I also have the Cav upper and never had those problems, mine is free floated though.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ADCO contours the RRA midlength barrel www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=284419

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Grant over at  GandR Tactical  and Bravo Co are putting together a nice buy on
ER Shaw mid length barrels pretty quick...

Denny at Denny's Guns-GTS (Global Tactical Service) has a unique mid length offering

Mike Rock, chrome lined barrel and chamber with Frank White doing the gunsmithing and fitting
what I'd guess you could call a medium contour..

I am betting these are going to be just about the nicest chrome lined barrels any one has ever seen..

Rob @ Talon Arms is selling Sabre Middies that also look pretty nice.

Edited to add

Steve at ADCO could probably turn one of these govt profiles down to super lt wt contour .625 for you
add a .625 low profile gas block from say La Rue Tactical and free float the barrel also has appeal
to me...(since I have a LRT gas block sitting around a drawer somewhere anyway)

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't turning a barrel a second time decrease accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My Cav Arms 20" has a POI change when it really get's hot. I've always heard it's normal and natural and not a major concern. I know to make a quik sight or sight picture ajustment after a couple of rapid mag dumps.

I got mine from DSG Arms and he also has the middy's in stock last I checked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top