Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
I have recently purchased a RRA upper with a DD rail.  The rail has the weld marks near the barrel nut with one of the weld marks being really sloppy looking.  Can anyone advise if this is common for a DD rail.  I can not post a pick but can email one if your interested.  I realize this is a tool that will get scratched and dinged, but I wanted to start out with a good looking weapon.  I picked the DD rail due to its light weight and reviews on this site.  I had only seen one other DD rail up close before and it looked much better.  Can any current or previous DD rail owners shed some light on this and maybe post or send some pics?  Just trying to decide it this is normal for the rail or if I should send it back to RRA.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I just IM'd you to send me the pic. We need to see it to evaluate it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
We sometimes have some bad welds that don't get caught in QC.  It happens you know.  If you are unhappy with the welds.  Send it back to us at DD and we will replace it with a new better looking rail for you.

Sorry you had a problem.

Call me if you want to dicuss it further.

Jay Duncan
Daniel Defense
912-656-6483
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the pic. Doesn't look abnormal to me but now DD has stepped up to the plate. Kudos to DD!!

I dunno. I haven't looked at my DD rail that closely in a while but if you're putting rail panels on it, you'll barely notice if at all. If it was me, I wouldn't care but you're not me so do what works for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It was a little slow it took me 9 minutes
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen better and I have seen a lot worse.  

Let me know brother.  I can hand pick one that has perfect welds but I think that one is pretty good.

Its up to you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That's normal but maybe a little excessive for DD rails.

They're not built for the fashion runway, but the DD rail systems are some of the best out there.  A weld like that will be mostly covered up with rail covers and you won't even see it when sighting downrange.

Please take a minute to read Matt_B's sig line.  It has some meaning and relavence in this thread.

Bravo to DD for unconditionally backing up their product.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies and huh, constructive criticism.  Yeah, I like my tools to look good, no it won't be in the safe but used at work.  

Cheaf, thanks for the input and generous offer.  It appears this is the average weld type and I can live with that.  Even though it may not be as "pretty" as I like, I still like the light weight and width of the DD rail over all others.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I still like the... ...width of the DD rail over all others.  Thanks again.

FYI, when measured with calipers the Larue is virtually identical in width.  The DD is significantly taller making it feel narrower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please take a minute to read Matt_B's sig line.  It has some meaning and relavence in this thread.

The appearance of a weld is directly correlated to if it was done properly which affects the strength.  Normally i would agree, but there are a few exceptions.

And that weld does not look bad at all, just a little sloppy and not really prettied up, but functionally speaking it looks good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
My DD has similar welds, but I'm not complaining. I've seen a KAC which was much worse.

I really like the 'small' width of DD.  I measured the lower half-arc circumference (distance from the middle of side rails to the other side) -- 'twas 3.5".  Overall diameter circumference was 7.125".  My Troy is 7.5" overall.  But with TD rail cover, half-arc would be 4.375" -- and relatively harder for my small hands.

...and DD's weight -- it's almost similar to what it replaced -- my CAR handguard with a couple of short rails, barrel nut and the HG cap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 I measured the lower half-arc circumference (distance from the middle of side rails to the other side) -- 'twas 3.5".  Overall diameter was 7.125".  My Troy is 7.5" overall.  But with TD rail cover, half-arc would be 4.375" -- and relatively harder for my small hands.

HUH?  Your rails have a diameter of over 7 inches?  I think you need to take them back.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my M4RAIL12.0FSP.

I love the tube and it's no biggie, but I thought that the welds could have been finished a little better.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, those are good, solid welds.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are you being sarcastic or serious? I probably wouldn't know a good weld from a bad weld.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you being sarcastic or serious? I probably wouldn't know a good weld from a bad weld.

They look good to me.  If I had a preference, I'd want a one piece unit, but DD has proven to be a quality product as is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Roger on the welds.  My shop has made over 400 GI M16A4 Designated Marksman rifles using the DD 12.0, and several Carbines using the 9.0 (mid-length) and 7.0 (Carbine).  I own a mid-length with a 9.5 FSPM.  They are built solid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Roger on the welds.  My shop has made over 400 GI M16A4 Designated Marksman rifles using the DD 12.0, and several Carbines using the 9.0 (mid-length) and 7.0 (Carbine).  I own a mid-length with a 9.5 FSPM.  They are built solid.

Can I work in your shop.................................PRETTY PLEASE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here's my M4RAIL12.0FSP.

I love the tube and it's no biggie, but I thought that the welds could have been finished a little better.

junior.apk.net/~scotts/ddweld2.jpg

junior.apk.net/~scotts/ddweld1.jpg

Thats how mine look, no biggie, I like the DD 9.0 I have, very sweet, Thanks to the gang at DD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a question about DD rails. on how strong they are and how do they hold up to hard use, to say like hard use in the Sand Box?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I almost shit when I first saw my DD 9.0 when my DMM4 came in from ADCO.  I had not seen that before in any pictures.

I have a 12.0FSPM now.  Mine are on the small side- the underside ones are almost not noticeable, probably just big enough to fill the hole and no extra.  The two upper ones are wider, but cratered in the middle.  If I had a choice, they'd all be nice rounded bumps, perfectly symmetrical and a little bigger in diameter than the hole that was there to begin with.  I think that would be an ideal weld, but I'm no welder.  I'm sure for my pussy-ass activities, my welds will be just fine...

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a question about DD rails. on how strong they are and how do they hold up to hard use, to say like hard use in the Sand Box?

Sinister is intimately involved with the Army Marksmanship Unit and the rifles he describes are in the 'box right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top