Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:21:39 PM EDT
I have been asked to assemble a match rifle (have built 7 AR15s using various lowers) lower for a friend of mine; my delima is he is interested in switching to a stainless steel DPMS lower, Socom T6 billet, or Oly Titanium, I have only used Armalite, Bushy, & RR in past builds and have informed him of the co$t difference, he is undeterred by cost (recent inheritence of $). No he won't give a chunk either.
Any + or - opinions and reviews on these metalurgical match lower alternatives greatly appreciated.  He's looking for long lasting, durable platform.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
None of those will do anything that a plain, old forged aluminum receiver with a match trigger can't do.  It is literally money thrown away.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

Most of the regular manufacturers that makes match rifles would be a good choice for a match receiver.

Here's the lowers from Compass Lake Engineering.

CLE Match Lowers link
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
None of those will do anything that a plain, old forged aluminum receiver with a match trigger can't do.  It is literally money thrown away.

+2.

AR lowers are not like bolt gun receivers at all. As long as the lower is in spec., it is no better or worse than another.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to get him to call & talk to some local gunsmiths and read some opnions here and on other sights.  He finally agreed that this may be just throwing money away and he could use the residuals for ammo and practice.

Sometimes friends can be a little dense (stubborn)

Thanks for your opinions!

He has a RR lower on its way.

Regards & Safe Labor Day weekend!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That's great.

At least the RR receiver should be nice and tight. (Note: a joke for mongo001 )

Maybe you could show it to us when it's done.

Good luck on your project.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My RRA lower is the Best I have seen. ( so far ) the fit was Excellent with my SDM upper.
I would like to know more about compass lake lowers,may have to give them a call.

Why buy a match quality upper if the lower sucks. The upper moving one way when the lower goes another -It,s not a wast of money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top