Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 5:11:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for advice from the vets on configuring two AR15 uppers since I've been out of the loop for 5 or 6 years. My old username was MOLON_LABE. I had a few posts and feedbacks. Shooting was put on the back burner when I needed cash and had to sell both of my Bushy 1 pre/ 1 post) uppers, an AR10 upper and an ACOG houghthink I want:

1. FF handguards (Daniels Defence? 9- 12"?)
2. 16-18" barrels (chromo or even SS?)
3. Flat top receivers
4. front & rear BUIS
5. verticle grip
6. light mounts
7. Aimpoints, ACOGs or one of each

My pre-ban had an M4 upper with RAS, veticle grip, TAO1NSN and a Beta C. I loved that thing but I also know there are better setups now.  Remember, I only have 2 AR15 lowers until I get outta here. They are registered and that's it for now. The AR10 will probably go back as a 20" A4 if that helps.  I'll spend more on the uppers if I have to but can't get too crazy since I need two. If you were in my situation, what would YOU get and why? TIA!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back.

I'm currently running a flat top M4 upper with a Larue 7.0 FF rail, standard front sight with rear ARMS #40 BUIS, Aimpoint ML2 in an ARMS #22M68 cantilever mount, and a Tango Down vertical grip. I really like it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Rail systems:  You sound like you will use a SPR gas block if you want a flip fornt sight.  Look at Larue and Daniel Defense.  Larue has a locking featuer and DD is 4 oz lighter.  If you intend to add remove the FF tube over the gas block the Larue may be a better chopice due to the locking feature.

Barrels:  If you are considering stainless Id see if you could get in on the group buy from ABS barrels.  Should have ended on Friday but if you haul ass and send in an order you might get in.  Mike Rock barrels in stainless lined with an electroless nickle/silicon carbide lining that is stronger than chrome lining and does not effect chrome lining like hard chrome.  Comes in a 1/7 twist, NATO chamber 16" carbine or mid gas system.  Last twice as long as a chomelined barrel due to carbon fiber wrapping process, handles heat 3X better than an all steel barrel and is the profile of an HBAR but has a weight like an M4 barrel.  GO look in the EE under ABS group buy.  Other than that the only new development are the Pac-nor Noveske polygonally rifled barrels which have higher velocity, easier to clean, last longer etc and are match grade accurate.

Reciever: For an upper reciever get a CMT with M4 feed ramps.  Its super cheap and fully featured.

Front and rear BUIS: Troy for both.  Blows everything else away.

Vertical grip: Deiter, KAC, Tango Down all different all personal preference.

Light mounts: Too many to list, offset or not? QD or not?

Optic:  TA31 or other BAC ACOG over a TA01 and Aimpoint or EOtech is a great dot sight.  Definantly look into the variable 1-4X optics.  Entire threads on them and too many to mention.  Use Larue optic mounts.  For an AR10 too many optics to begin.

Welcome back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I called Tom at ABS and snuck in an order for two mid lenth Mike Rock barrels. Thanks for the heads up DevL! And I got my old screename back today.

Now to find someone to build the uppers. I can build a house but have no clue on ARs. Maybe I can gather enough info by the time the barrels get here to do it myself or find some help. Any advice there? Anyone in NorCal? Time to search the DIY forum I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top