Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 7:59:47 PM EDT
Can someone please post a picture of a LaRue 7.0 rail with Knight Armament rails covers on it? I would like to see how it would look. I am thinking about putting this combo on my LMT upper w/ my Tango down grip. Or I will go KAC FF Carbine rail on the LMT upper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take some pics tomorrow...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can someone please post a picture of a LaRue 7.0 rail with Knight Armament rails covers on it? I would like to see how it would look.

Ok, I have to ask - why does it matter what it looks like? I'm no trying to be a jerk. This is a serious question.

Besides, the Larue is generally preferred over the KAC now. I or others would be happy to elaborate as to why that opinion is held.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking about changing my LMT to SOPMOD style and thinking about putting a FF on it. And I wanted it to be more soild than the ras 2-piece rail with front grip.   I was thinking about using LaRue  7.0 or to keep it all Military style and go with KAC FF. Or is the DD in the SOPMOD package now?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking for "military style" and "SOPMOD" package you might want to reconsider the RAS since that is the rail system in the original SOPMOD and there are certainly more in use by US forces than any other rail adapter system. If that's not your main concern pick what ever you like best and don't sweat the details.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]
How strong is the R.A.S. rail, what I mean is how does it hold up to the pushing and pulling by the front grip?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am thinking about changing my LMT to SOPMOD style and thinking about putting a FF on it. And I wanted it to be more soild than the ras 2-piece rail with front grip.   I was thinking about using LaRue  7.0 or to keep it all Military style and go with KAC FF.

Why do you want to "keep it all military style"? Again, a serious question, that's all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I just like the SOPMOD look. Or should I go with DD to save weight? I like the looks of LaRue Aimpoint mount and 4.0 rail. Am I looking at the weight wrong, I think I would be saving 2.9 oz  How much better is Larue than DD ? I found out that the newer DD have T-Numbers. I have found out that I can get the DD carbine from Brownells' at Dealers cost $218.67
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I put KAC rail covers on my Daniel Defense 7.0, and really like the feel

I have tried - and still own - Magpul, Bushmasters, and Tango covers - for reference

The Bushmasters are nice and tacky, but can come off

The Tangos are OK, but the KAC feel good, look good, and like you said- are authentic
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just like the SOPMOD look.

Nothing wrong with that of course but buy what works for your intended useage, whatever that may be.

Or should I go with DD to save weight?
I've got a DD on my 9mm AR and for that particular rifle (because of the heavier bolt and buffer), the weight savings is nice. That rifle weighs in at 8.8 lbs unloaded. My 16" midlength with Larue 9.0 comes it at 8.4 lbs unloaded. That's a difference of 6 oz but that's close enough to me.

I like the looks of LaRue Aimpoint mount and 4.0 rail.
I know you said you like the SOPMOD look but disregarding how they look, the Larue Aimpoint mount (specifically the cantilever version) and the Larue rail systems are considered by most folks to be the best around.

Am I looking at the weight wrong, I think I would be saving 2.9 oz
No, you're reading it right. The difference is weight is due to the fact that the DD comes standard with an aluminum bbl nut whereas the Larue's is steel. IIRC, the DD rails the military gets have a steel bbl nut so they probably weigh exactly the same (or pretty darn close) to what the Larue weigh.

How much better is Larue than DD ? I found out that the newer DD have T-Numbers. I have found out that I can get the DD carbine from Brownells' at Dealers cost $218.67
The main differences between the Larue and DD (besides weight) are:
- The Larue has a locking tab that prevents the rail system from spinning around when (and it does happen) the end cap gets loose.
- The DD has a more oval profile whereas the Larue has a rounder profile. This is because the side rails on the DD are slightly shorter.

While the price you can a DD at is good (you can get one from ADCO for $249), you can get a Larue for $250.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Matt b, did you mean that the rail that you put mounts on is shorter or the whole lenght of the rail is shorter?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Matt b, did you mean that the rail that you put mounts on is shorter or the whole lenght of the rail is shorter?

The rails are shorter heightwise. In other words, they are not as tall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thamks Matt B, what type of rails do you run, can you post picture of your M4? I think you and Grant have sold me on LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have an M-4gery any more. It morphed into a 16" mid-length but I still have pics of it.

It had a KAC FF RAS. My mid-length has a Larue 9.0.

My 20" AR has a KAC FF RAS but that will be getting a Larue sooner rather than later since I don't use a VFG with that rifle. To me, the KACs are fat compared to both the DD and Larue.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Matt B, why didn't you like the KAC short  rail?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Matt B, why didn't you like the KAC short rail?

In the case of the carbine, tt really wasn't a matter of not liking it. It was a matter of switching to a differ gas system (carbine > mid-length). The KAC would not have fit. It would be too short.

In the case of the 20" AR, I want a slimmer profile since I don't use a VFG with the 20" and I want the locking tabs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Matt B, Does the KAC FF have T-Numbers on it? And have you sold yours?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#20]
An older picture of my M4. LaRue 7.0, Tango Down rail covers, a KAC verticle grip, a KAC side sling swivel adaptor.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top