Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 2:46:55 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find any info to verify this....
I heard that Essential Arms is back in biz making cast receivers.
Is this true?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Aimless.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
yep

they have ads in shotgunnews
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Will they last as well as their previous offerings?

Seriously.

I have a 20" gun that consists of mostly-GI parts including a 1:12 pencil barrel on an old EA cast receiver.  After the first 10K rounds (yes, that is a real # as I attended many carbine schools back in those years) that I put through it the pin holes started to egg-out.  A little peening around the holes with a center punch and everything went right back to okay.  Who knows how many rounds were put through it before I bought it.

Yeah, I know it's ghetto.  But the next time it happens, in another 10-20K rounds, I'll simply drill out the holes and install steel bushings.  Then it'll never happen again.

I would bet my arse on that gun.  Yes, I would.

Eric
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The pre ban EA cast receivers had a very good reputation, from what I have heard.

i had never had any problems with mine
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I had 2 EA cast lowers in the early '90s; they worked fine and I liked the finish on them.  Traded them as pre-bans to some folks in the restricted states; and I imagine that they are still doing a fine job.
A friend of mine just built a M4orgery on the new forged EA lower and he really likes it.  So much he just bought at least 2 more.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to see a little more feedback from the bd members on these lowers.  I've nearly gathered all the parts I need to finish build number 4 & it's time to buy lowers.

I like Stag & for me they are a known quantity, but if EA is of equal quality/reliability then I'll go with them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Southhoof-EA lowers (as far as I know) are cast. However there are ton of pre-ban ones, which matters if you live in states like NY. Cast lowers are not as strong as forged lowers (which nearly all new lowers are). This strength difference may be theoretcial, but for the small price difference btw cast and forged I would not bother with a cast lower if it weren't for NY's stupid laws.

+1
even though i have never had any problems with the e.a. lower i would pay a little more for a forged lower. i had the e.a. during the ban-era but now that it is gone i would rather buy forged
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks gents.  I know enough about metalurgy to have a preference for forged.  As I said Stag is a known quantity & well repected on this bd.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top