Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 9:52:21 PM EDT
Ok... Heres my idea for my upper, looking for some experienced opinions on this.

This will be my first AR and the one I will be using for home protection (in addition to my trusty P2000). I want to shoot a WIDE variety of ammo... prob 55grain for bsing/plinking, but i've been looking at 60grain Hornady TAP for my protection, since thats what i keep loaded in my HK Pistol now. I also thought about their 75grain. I want to be able to shoot a wide variety... people say 1:9 for 55grain +/- and people say 1:7 for 70grain+, so I thought 1:8 twist would be good all around... I know this is a great debate, but what is going to be the best for all around.

Starting off with a Mega upper receiver to match my Mega Lower Receiver...

16" Barrel, I would like a MIDLENGTH gas setup, probably stainless...  Fluted for assistance in rigidity and heat dissipation. I will probably be using a YHM 5C2... I like it, and i dont really know what difference your suppressor/flash hider will make anyway, if somebody has any clarification on this, help me out here. 5.56 chambering im guessing, i dunno... Im not sure if i can even get this setup. Anybody out there know?

For my Rail system... Probably YHM Midlength, havent decided standard or lightweight, but i'm leaning toward lightweight. Not sure if i will use the support or not. I'm told these are good rail systems for the money, even if you do have to use a little blue loctite..

I would like to have a front sight base system with a flip down front sight, but also a rail on the bottom, without having to make the front sight "removable". The only persons i've found to do this are YHM, and it shows on their website that it isnt out yet. Part # 9835A  I want the bottom rail on the site to mount a Streamlight/Insite M6 Flashlight w/ Laser... i would be using this on both my AR and my P2000.

As for a rear site, i'm liking the ARMS 40 series, not sure which one i'd use., prob 40LAS...

In a few months i would also like to add a EOTech site... but im not sure.

I'm not sure on what BCG assembly i will use...

Additionally, i've put some thought into Mags also...  I read alot of good things about the HK mags, and would love 'em, but at $50ish a pop... Have also read that a surpus Teflon mag with Magpul Followers and Ranger plate, and possibly throw in a Wolff spring upgrade is a damn good way to go... any info here?

I know this is alot of information, but from what i've gathered, this is the way i'm leaning... a nice CQC weapon, but still fun to plink with. Any help from the knowledgables here would be greatly appreciated.

-- O. Jeremy Miles
FF/Medic
Richmond, Virginia

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok... Heres my idea for my upper, looking for some experienced opinions on this.

This will be my first AR and the one I will be using for home protection (in addition to my trusty P2000). I want to shoot a WIDE variety of ammo... prob 55grain for bsing/plinking, but i've been looking at 60grain Hornady TAP for my protection, since thats what i keep loaded in my HK Pistol now. I also thought about their 75grain. I want to be able to shoot a wide variety... people say 1:9 for 55grain +/- and people say 1:7 for 70grain+, so I thought 1:8 twist would be good all around... I know this is a great debate, but what is going to be the best for all around. bogbore has shot 77gr out of a 1x9 with no problems, just something to think about. also most 1x8 i have seen are bull barrels. there have also been reports of lower weight grain bullets in the 1x7. imo 1x9 will work just fine

Starting off with a Mega upper receiver to match my Mega Lower Receiver... mega marked uppers are cool! especially with the mega lower

16" Barrel, I would like a MIDLENGTH gas setup, probably stainless...  Fluted for assistance in rigidity and heat dissipation. I will probably be using a YHM 5C2... I like it, and i dont really know what difference your suppressor/flash hider will make anyway, if somebody has any clarification on this, help me out here. 5.56 chambering im guessing, i dunno... Im not sure if i can even get this setup. Anybody out there know? i would go either wylde or 5.56. wylde is a inbetween chamber

For my Rail system... Probably YHM Midlength, havent decided standard or lightweight, but i'm leaning toward lightweight. Not sure if i will use the support or not. I'm told these are good rail systems for the money, even if you do have to use a little blue loctite.. i have never had any problems with it but some have. i went with the lightweight on my build.

I would like to have a front sight base system with a flip down front sight, but also a rail on the bottom, without having to make the front sight "removable". The only persons i've found to do this are YHM, and it shows on their website that it isnt out yet. Part # 9835A  I want the bottom rail on the site to mount a Streamlight/Insite M6 Flashlight w/ Laser... i would be using this on both my AR and my P2000. didnt look up the part# you have but if you have a rail system then why would you need any type of rail on your fsb? would defeat the purpose of the freefloat dont you think?
just mount it on the free float

As for a rear site, i'm liking the ARMS 40 series, not sure which one i'd use., prob 40LAS... the #40 is a nice buis, there is #40 a2 which uses the std. arpeture and the #40 which has the cut arp. or vice versa then there is the #40l which is the low profile one

In a few months i would also like to add a EOTech site... but im not sure.

I'm not sure on what BCG assembly i will use... std. on e would work just fine. there is a lot of good reports about the cmt bcg, i have one on the way.

Additionally, i've put some thought into Mags also...  I read alot of good things about the HK mags, and would love 'em, but at $50ish a pop... Have also read that a surpus Teflon mag with Magpul Followers and Ranger plate, and possibly throw in a Wolff spring upgrade is a damn good way to go... any info here?   the hk mags are nice but imo some usgi mags with all the upgrades would end up cheaper and be more reliable.

I know this is alot of information, but from what i've gathered, this is the way i'm leaning... a nice CQC weapon, but still fun to plink with. Any help from the knowledgables here would be greatly appreciated.

-- O. Jeremy Miles
FF/Medic
Richmond, Virginia

search around, lurk and read up
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Why get a stainless match barrel and screw it up with a 5.56 chamber?  Why get a stainless match barrel and get an EOtech and not get the accuracy benefit?  Get a chromelined barrel in 1/7. I hate the M6 and suggest dropping it as an idea... did you buy it already?

PS: Fluting decreases stiffness and weighs more than govt profile.  Just get govt profile, its lighter and cheaper.  Drop the front sight idea and mount a light on an adaptor on your rail.  That is what the addition rail space on a middy is for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the ARMS #40. The 500-600meter cut on the small aperture is worthless because all you see is a void (it looks like the top portion of the small aperture is gone).

Good choie with the EOTech. I have mine mounted in front of the #40 directly on the flattop rail and am very pleased with it.

I love the CMT enhanced bolt/carrier I got for my mid-legth. Broke in fast and it's finished well.

Get some USGI mags and upgrade to some Magpul followers if you want. You'll save money and weight, and you won't sacrifice reliability.

My $.02, can't help with your other questions.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a YHM Spectre length, light weight. Just put a few dabs of blue loctite on the nut and never worry about it again.

On the mags, watch the boards for used USGI. I've picked up 20 for less then 9 bucks a mag, and I've upgraded 10 of them with mag pul gear. Refinish with perma silk or dura coat and you've got uber good mags for less then 15 a pop (at the most)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Since no one has suggested it yet, I recommend going to the AR Discussion Forum and reading the "Ultimate Tactical Carbine" thread tacked at the top of the first page. Pay particular attention to the posts of USMC03, he knows what he's talking about.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks everybody for posting... its nice to have something to read and ponder after you get home from working 2 days straight.

-- O. Jeremy Miles
Medic
Richmond Virginia
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top