Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 6:49:19 PM EDT
Okay,  this is going to be a really stupid question (there, the disclaimer is out of the way) but I have ZERO experience with rail type handguards as all of the Colt A2s I've shot have had the stock plastic handguards.  

I only plan semi-auto use, but when plinking away with a 30 round clip, I'd guess that a rail type aluminum handguard can get pretty warm; to the point of having to have gloves.  Is that correct?  (I'm assuming so since I see so many of the rail system equipped rigs with either hand pads or pistol grips).

Thanks for answering this newbie question.

****EDITED TO ASK**** Some systems seem to use a 'rubber ladder', does this keep your hand from cooking?  Many don't seem to be able to use this ladder though.  Will they only work on certain styles of rail?

Sean
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
After several 30 round magazines of full auto the barrel nut gets so hot it will blister felsh on contact.  The rail is vary warm but not to the point of pain.  With a rail cover of any type you cant tell its even warm.  Any rail can use Magpul ladder panels.  I only use them for top rails and use Magpul XT panels or KAC panels on the sides and bottom.  I hate ladder panles on the bottom and sides as they dont give enough surface area to feel normal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
i have tango down and magpul panels on mine and they get warm to the touch.

i have learned that metal gets hot and will burn if touched so i usually dont touch bare metal anymore
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]
During a carbine class, in which we shot around 100 or so rounds in rapid fire mode, my DD rail system with KAC rail covers became so hot, I could hardly hold it.  I bought a FVG on the spot so I could continue.  The ambient temp at the time was 90+ degrees also and we were in direct sunlight.  All combined for a hot shooting day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the YHM lightweight free float system.  I have yet to cook my hand.  The most I ever put through it at a time was 3 mag dumps on a 90 something degree day in direct sunlight.  I have ladder rails on it and that seems to help.  Full rail panels might hold the heat in more, I don't know.  My setup is very open and "airy".  Check out the YHM, it's pretty cheap too.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses guys. When you  guys say you bought "panels" are you talking about the pads or the ladders?  I"m assuming you mean the pads.

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses guys. When you  guys say you bought "panels" are you talking about the pads or the ladders?  I"m assuming you mean the pads.

Thanks,
Sean

Most guys around here call them rail panels instead of pads. Rail protectors are usually called ladders.

I have been accidentally burned several times by touching the metal parts after several mag dumps in very hot weather without any shade.

It happens in all guns. The worst gun in my opinion is my Galil AR, it doesn't have an upper handguard, it's open.

Now I use vertical grips on my ARs. If you're not using rails, a Colt M4 handguard with double heatshields will help.

ETA: typos
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't know if the ladders would be adequate or not.  Thanks for clearing it up.

Sean
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a KAC RAS with VFG and the KAC panels. During a class this year with a 110Heat Index I was shooting double relays, I probably ran a few 100 rds in a short period of time. Got so Hot the Upper reciever by the barrel nut started to discolor a little, but I had no problems handling the weapon. I do wear gloves thought, cause I just don't need the accidently burn from touching something hot.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind you can shoot a lot and the rails wont be that hot.  Put them in direct sun and dont shoot and all and they will scald your hand.  Ambient condiotions and the total rounds ina shooting session has a lot to do with how hot they get and whether you can hold on or not.  You have no need for ladders on all sides for cooling but the full sizes panels will feel better and give better hold on the weapon.  Buy Magoul XT panels and put them on your rail system and you will be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top